Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mac & Cheese

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 10 Replies
Anyone have a somewhat healthy recipe for mac & cheese? The stuff at the store is so full of crap, but damn if I'm not craving it. I sure don't mind cooking from scratch, actually I prefer it!
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I'm not sure there is a healthy recipe for mac n cheese.

Here is the one we use.

Creamy Mac and Cheese 

8 oz. Package of elbow macaroni
4 cups (one quart) of half 'n' half
8 oz. Sour cream
1/2 t. sea salt
At least 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix pasta, milk and salt in a large sauce pan.  Cook over medium-high heat STIRRING ALMOST CONSTANTLY until the pasta is tender (10 minutes).  Remove from heat.  Add sour cream and cheese and stir until melted.  Serve immediately.

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Boil your noodles and make your own sauce. First you melt a tbsp of butter and add in a tbsp of flour. It turns into paste. Add a little milk and stir constantly. Keep on low and keep adding milk. It will turn into a sauce. Decide when it's thin enough. More milk equals thinner sauce. Add in shredded cheese and it will melt and that's your cheese sauce!

Add it to pasta and bake till hot and bubbly. Add bread crumbs or potato chips on top.

crystalx88
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I always use a whole package of whole wheat macaroni (I think its 16 oz?) add 16 slices of cheese and 3 cups of milk. 

No butter so it doesnt have all that extra fat and the whole wheat makes it way better then kraft! 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Here's my version of Mac n Cheese.

jdahlstedt
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Thanks ladies :) I have some m&c to try out!

Basherte
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I'm not sure there is a healthy recipe for mac n cheese.

Here is the one we use.

Creamy Mac and Cheese 

8 oz. Package of elbow macaroni
4 cups (one quart) of half 'n' half
8 oz. Sour cream
1/2 t. sea salt
At least 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix pasta, milk and salt in a large sauce pan.  Cook over medium-high heat STIRRING ALMOST CONSTANTLY until the pasta is tender (10 minutes).  Remove from heat.  Add sour cream and cheese and stir until melted.  Serve immediately.

I would probably use milk instead of half-n-half. Just to make it a little more healthy. 

Then again, when I make mac -n- cheese, I don't make it healthy. *giggles* There are some things that aren't meant to be healthy. That's why we eat them in moderation.  Just my own personal thoughts. Not trying to knock down anyone else.

CafeMom Tickers
sununner36
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM

yep this is the way I make mine.  family loves it.

Quoting mypbandj:

Boil your noodles and make your own sauce. First you melt a tbsp of butter and add in a tbsp of flour. It turns into past. Add a little milk and stir constantly. Keep on low and keep adding milk. It will turn into a sauce. Decide when it's thin enough. More milk equals thinner sauce. Add in shredded cheese and it will melt and that's your cheese sauce!

Add it to pasta and bake till hot and bubbly. Add bread crumbs or potato chips on top.

Every Second of Every Day is a New Beginningpuppy

KLove_Mom
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Try it with Quinoa pasta/elbows... I like it better than rice pasta, and it tastes and cooks up like regular pasta.

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Carrot mac and cheese!  It sounds a little odd, but the sauce is made with pureed carrots but it tastes just like regular mac and cheese and DH or DD did not notice the difference.  I had to adjust the liquid in it a little bit because it was too thick, but once you have the basics of the recipe you can tweak it as you please.

1. 3/4 pound carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
  2. Zest and juice of 1 navel orange, zest removed in strips with a vegetable peeler
  3. Salt
  4. 3 cups penne rigate (9 ounces)
  5. 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
  6. 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
  7. Freshly ground white pepper
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan, combine the carrots with the zest and juice and 1/4 cup of water. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderate heat until the carrots are very soft, about 30 minutes. Discard the zest. Transfer the carrots and any liquid to a blender and puree until very smooth.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
  3. Return the pasta to the pot. Add the reserved water and the carrot puree and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the pasta is coated with a thickened sauce, about 5 minutes. Stir in three-fourths of the cheese and cook, stirring, until very creamy, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Stir in the tarragon and season with salt and white pepper.
  4. Transfer the pasta to a medium baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:19 PM

These look amazing...thanks for sharing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)