Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

any advice you can give me?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM
  • 6 Replies
first let me start out with, i'm ashamed of myself. i'm a smoker. i quit cold turkey the day i found out i was pregnant with dd but like a idiot picked it up again a month after her birth. but i've made the decision that today is the day i quit. i want to do this so i can work out and lose weight because right now i struggle with it because the smoking henders my breathing. i want to do this because i have HPV and smoking heightens my risk of getting cervical cancer. but i NEED to do this for my dd so i can watch her grow up. so here are my questions:

have any of you quit cold turkey?
what helped you stick with it?
did you gain much weight (or if you didn't how did you keep from gaining?)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ZoeysMom11
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM

BUMP

ButtonsMama44
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM

ZoeysMom11-

Let me start by saying I've never been a smoker- but you're baby is beautiful, and I wanted you to know that I support your decision to stop for all the reasons above.  I believe you can do it- just look at your sweet girl and tell yourself that she's worth it and just stay strong!

jenerica.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I have quit a few times over the years.  I've gone cold turkey, used the patch, used Chantix, and the gum.  Lol!  Nothing makes me ever not want to smoke.  No matter how long I go without a cigarette, or what method I'm using, I always want one.  ALWAYS.  My only downfall is I eventually give in.  The only thing that helps me "stick with it" is knowing that I can either be a smoker who wants a cigarette, or I can be a non-smoker who wants a cigarette.  

When I quit smoking in 2003, I gained about 30-35 lbs and have been on a weight-loss/weight-gain roller coaster ever since.  Every once in a while, I'll fall off the wagon and smoke for a few months.  I tend to lose some weight, but then when I quit smoking, I gain it all back.  It sucks!  Right now I am actually doing pretty good.  I'm not smoking and I'm losing weight.  This is a first, so I'm pretty jazzed.  It's only taken me 10 years to work it out.  Lol!

Good luck to you on your road to becoming a non-smoker.  It can be really freaking hard.  But you can do it.  :) 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Yes, i quit smoking cold turkey in 2001.  I think what helped me is that when i was busy doing things, enjoying myself and happy i didn't smoke.  I typically smoked when i was sitting at home, watching tv, or in an environment where there were LOTS of other smokers. My hubby wasn't a smoker so i didn't smoke around him and we were always doing stuff.  Plus California had a smoking ban where you couldn't smoke indoors anymore or in front of any public buildings, so that limited my smoking as well.

What helped me not smoke again was not wanting to smoke around or near my baby.  Since i'm a SAHM, i wasn't going to smoke in my home and harm my child, nor did i want to try and sneak outside to smoke and have smoke in my hair, hands, clothes, etc.  Plus i was occupied and honestly smoking never crossed my mind.  

I was pregnant with my 1st when i quit so i gained baby weight.  

Basherte
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I quit cold turkey.

I went for walks, a lot. 

I stuck a pen or pencil in my mouth. That helped a lot. 

I didn't gain weight.

CafeMom Tickers
geriniki
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM
My boyfriend quit cold turkey, and hasn't had the need to smoke in the 5 years. You have to be strong & make your mind up that smoking is something you don't need in your life, if not, you will fail. If you manage to break the cycle just think about the $ you will save & be able to spoil that little girl (well, not spoil her, but give her things she'll need growing up) and be with her for many, many years to come.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN