Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

For the moms who Breastfeed

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:26 AM
  • 14 Replies

Morning to all I was wondering for the moms who breastfeed their babies is it okay to drink sparkling water and eat spicy food? Does effect the baby?

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Motherhento10
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:11 AM

The spicy food CAN bother the baby but doesn't need to. I ate absolutely what I wanted to ( Thai, broccoli, garlic etc.) my kids did great and grew up AMAZING eaters. There were times that they would end up with a little gas, but we just dealt. I DID have to go dairy free while nursing my second. I figured out pretty quickly that every time I ate dairy she was miserable. Also... I would suggest staying away from shellfish. My fourth( who is 13 now) is severely allergic to shellfish. I found that out the hard way. I went out to eat without her for the first time when she was a year old. I came home and nursed her. She had a complete body reaction. I didn't connect it to the shellfish at first. But... Two days later, I ate my leftovers for lunch and we ended up at the dr's. she is still allergic and now, so am I. I'm sure she would have been allergic regardless but it was rough having her go through all that when she was so little. 

norahsmommy
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Have at it!! I love sparkling water and spicy food. It's never bothered any of my 4 kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Motherhento10
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:14 AM

As far as the allergies piece, I ate the same with all the kids. I have two who are deathly allergic to things and the rest aren't so it wasn't as if "oh, I ate peanuts with him and GAVE him the allergy but didn't eat them with her, so she doesn't have allergies" 

richardson1
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Thanks you have been help. hugs

richardson1
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Thank you all for your Feedback.  hugs

preacherskid
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM

You can eat whatever you want :)  Some children, like mine, have food allergies and I went on an elimination diet for that, but a child with no food issues does not need you to change your diet- I ate Mexican like crazy with both mine when they were infants, and they had no issues from the spiciness :)

suetoo
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Sure! If something you eat bothers your babe, you'll know. I could not eat spaghetti sauce! The next day, my dd would have a fiery diaper rash. It took about 3 times for me to figure it out. Look for changes like a gurgling tummy, spitting up, or changes in color and consistancy of poo.

Vertical15
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I could eat whatever I wanted and it didn't bother my three when I BFed eah of them but all babies are different.  I would suggest start with small bits of what you like and increase the amounts slowly.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I eat all kinds of spicy food and baby never has had an issue with it.  Although i have heard some moms say their children were affected, so i don't know.  I've never had an issue with the foods i ate, as long as they were REAL foods and prepared in a healthy way. And sparkling water never affected my milk or baby either. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Everything in moderation.

For example, a glass of orange juice is fine. But the entire pitcher might be a bit much and effect the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN