Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Melatonin

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM
  • 16 Replies

I have been having major sleep issues - insomnia nearly every night. A friend of mine suggested I try melatonin. She has no experience with it, but her mom suggested it to her. Anyway, I tried one last night and I certainly slept no worse/less. I might even say I slept a bit better! Has anyone tried it? Opinions? Risks? Thanks!

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM

My son takes it every night and it seems to help him. Google it to find out how best to take it and at what dosage it works best.

winterglow
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I suggest you read this

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/melatonin-side-effects/AN01717

It has some interesting information on the subject.

Also, never forget that melatonin is a hormone...

fullxbusymom
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM

No risks it is completely natural and a lot kids take it now a days too.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I don't know if it says it on that side effect page but I've read in other spots here on CM that if you keep taking it you'll become dependent on it because your body will no longer make it to fall asleep. You might want to do more research.

Basherte
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Melatonin is something that the body produces naturally. So, I would say talk to a doctor about it, so that you aren't using too much. Because even too much of a good thing is bad. Then I would use it. Especially if it helps you. 

Because it is naturally produced by the body there are fewer risks to using it. 

also there is a brownie that is jokingly called a weed brownie.. or close to that. It has melatonin in it. It tastes really good. I've had a few of those that worked to help me sleep when I was having problems.

CafeMom Tickers
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:49 AM
I have taken it before. It helped fall asleep but gave me major nightmares. It is listed as a side effect. Know other ppl who have had new problems.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Yep.  This.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

liquidvelvet
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I've tried it and it gave me horrible nightmares, which is one of the side effects.

smurfy88
by Jessica on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM

There are risks for it, read this article

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-940-MELATONIN.aspx?activeIngredientId=940&activeIngredientName=MELATONIN

Quoting fullxbusymom:

fullxbusymom
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Yes everyone of those risks are IF you already have diabetes, depression, High Blood Pressure etc. So those aren't really risks to the avg. person with no preexisting ailments. 

Even in children they say it is Possibly unsafe which makes me laugh since they don't even know but just had to through it in there.  It was recommended by my son's pediatrician and ADHD doctor.

Quoting smurfy88:

There are risks for it, read this article

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-940-MELATONIN.aspx?activeIngredientId=940&activeIngredientName=MELATONIN

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)