Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Brown sugar is okay ?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
  • 8 Replies
I see recipes all the time to use brown sugar but thought all sugar was bad. Example with sweet potatoes.

TIA
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Lcherian
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
It's still pretty refined. Try succanat or coconut palm sugar.
jenerica.
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Brown sugar is just white sugar and molasses.

I use honey to sweeten my sweet potatoes, or nothing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:11 AM

All things in moderation.

CafeMom Tickers
suetoo
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Sugar is sugar. And necessary for energy, and part of good balanced nutrition. But we need way less than we eat.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Brown sugar is sugar and molasses so tou have to be careful what brand you use. I make my own by mixing raw sugar and black strap molasses. I only use it for baking. Coconut sugar is a great alternative.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Alyson on Apr. 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

You can sub in things like raw honey, pure maple syrup, or a less refined cane like sucanat or turbinado.  

tennisgal
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM

will coconut sugar work the same as brown sugar in baking (like cookies...i like the softness brown sugar gives cookies)

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Brown sugar is sugar and molasses so tou have to be careful what brand you use. I make my own by mixing raw sugar and black strap molasses. I only use it for baking. Coconut sugar is a great alternative.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I am still a little new to the coconut sugar world and I haven't tried it with cookies yet. Now, since the molasses added to the sugar is what gives cookies that super moist texture, I would guess that adding molasses to coconut sugar would yield the same results. And, black strap molasses is healthy. I plan on trying it out, the next time I make cookies. If you do decide to try it, make sure you work the coconut sugar through a sifter to break it down.

Quoting tennisgal:will coconut sugar work the same as brown sugar in baking (like cookies...i like the softness brown sugar gives cookies)
Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:Brown sugar is sugar and molasses so tou have to be careful what brand you use. I make my own by mixing raw sugar and black strap molasses. I only use it for baking. Coconut sugar is a great alternative.
If it doesn't work for you, just make your own brown sugar using a raw, organic sugar and black strap molasses.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN