Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tubal ligation and missed period

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hey Ladies

Ok...So, mommy of 5. I had a tubal ligation about a year and a half ago.  I am kind of freaking out because since having my surgery I have had normal on time periods every month.  This month 4 days late. I have taken 2 PT-1st pt 1 day after missed period (negative) and 2nd-3days after missed period, and the test didn't read. (no answer in the answer window). What do you all think??? Should I test again if I havent started my cycle in a few days?  I know many of you will say Dr., but no medical insurance on myself right now is what has me asking the question here first.  Any other of you ladies had missed cycle(s) after tubal?  After having normal cycles for as long as I have afterward?  Looking ofr any advice/support  I can get.  Thank you in advance for your time and responses

embarrassed

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Basherte
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I haven't had any missed ones. 

I would take another test in a few days and make sure that you take it in the morning. The protein that the test checks for will be stronger (if it is there) in the morning than at any other time of the day. 

Good luck momma.

CafeMom Tickers
amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

First, do you think you could be experiencing any symptoms of perimenopause (you look young in your picture so I'm thinking not, but... you never know)?  Have you been under more stress than usual or have you been ill lately?

I'd probably take another test in about a week or so if it still hasn't shown up.  But try not to stress too much, sometimes our bodies just do weird things that we can't really explain.

specialwingz
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I had a couple of missed ones about 1-2 years after mine, too.  I also took a couple of tests that were inconclusive.

I'm not saying it's impossible.  But, highly improbable according to the surgeon who did the procedure.

The odds depend on what your surgeon did.  Mine snipped and cauterized the ends of my tubes.  So, they are completely scarred over.  No chance of pregnancy.  Some just snip and leave to "heal" on their own.  Possible to not scar over completely.  Some just tie sutures around the tubes, leaving them to grow together eventually.  Possibly leaving tiny passages for sperm to get through.

So, the prbability level depends on how your surgeon did the procedure.

For me, it turned out I was in the beginning phases of menopause.

mommyroxo5
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM

blowing kissesHey Ladies,

Thank you so much for your responses! I can't say that there has been any real change in my life...diet and exercise are the same...stress is the same...so I can't think of anything that would cause me to miss my cycle!  Today nothing still. I am feeling a bit fatigued and crampy...uuugh, I don't know! I don't know if I have ever wanted to start my period so badly...Hahahaa!  Now...I'm not saying that a baby isn't a blessing...but, I already have 5 of those wonderful blessings (lol)-hence having the surgery at all.  My Ob/Gyn put these little titanium clamps on my Fallopian tubes and the scar tissue is suppose to build up over them over time.  I will be 33 next month so I am thinking that it is a little early for menopause.   If it doesn't come by Monday I will re-test.  Thank you again for responding!

akLiLmama907
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Mine have been irregular since my surgery (its been 2 years next month)

I use to start the first week of the month, now its always after the 20th, Is there anyone you can call?!  we have a nurses hotline here for things like this... they're very helpful.

I know there is a small chance of pregnancy after a tubal ligation.  But I was told because mine were cut, burned and tied. It's very unlikely. Has anything been going on that may cause you to be late? (stress maybe?)

Good luck!! I'm sure I'm no help but just wanted to share my experience.  :)

akLiLmama907
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:45 AM

Quoting mommyroxo5:

blowing kissesHey Ladies,

Thank you so much for your responses! I can't say that there has been any real change in my life...diet and exercise are the same...stress is the same...so I can't think of anything that would cause me to miss my cycle!  Today nothing still. I am feeling a bit fatigued and crampy...uuugh, I don't know! I don't know if I have ever wanted to start my period so badly...Hahahaa!  Now...I'm not saying that a baby isn't a blessing...but, I already have 5 of those wonderful blessings (lol)-hence having the surgery at all.  My Ob/Gyn put these little titanium clamps on my Fallopian tubes and the scar tissue is suppose to build up over them over time.  I will be 33 next month so I am thinking that it is a little early for menopause.   If it doesn't come by Monday I will re-test.  Thank you again for responding!

Sorry, didn't read the responses before I posted.

I don't know much about the clamps, my OB/Gyn said she refuses to use clamps or that essure thing.... I forget why exactly... :/ 

Krysden
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Anything new with this?   There are several things that can affect when (or if) you ovulate thus changing when (or if) you have a period that month.   You mentioned being almost 33 and that being a little early for menopause but peri-menopause can cause irregular periods too.   Taken from webmd:

Perimenopause, or menopause transition, is the stage of a woman's reproductive life that begins several years before menopause, when the ovaries gradually begin to produce less estrogen. It usually starts in a woman's 40s, but can start in a woman's 30s or even earlier. ...

Do you know how old your mom was when she went through it?  All that aside... Missing one period is generally not a cause for concern.  If it happens more often it should be checked out though.

coronado25
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM

My mother was pregnant directly after having her tubes tied. Guess dad could not wait. It was within the same month they were tied that she concieved my sister. 

Can't imagine this could happen a year after!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)