Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Healthy Meals On A LOW Budget???

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM
  • 8 Replies

My husband is finally getting on board with this idea of eating healthy in addition to the exercise.  I've been trying to get him to realize for a while that we should be eating more healthy.  Ofcourse we don't have much money to spend.  Our meal planning most often centers around low cost meals.  Low cost meals are frequently not all that healthy.  We have to also think about the fact that we have 5 teens to feed to. 

Does anyone have some great ideas for feeding our family with 5 teens  on a very low budget healthy, low calorie meals?

I would love to hear your meal ideas.

Click my tag to follow me to:

Living In the Arms of Jesus:

Where we PLAY, PRAY and LEARN Together.

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
.strawberry.
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a couple cheap easy recipes on my blog so I'll post the link below.

A tip, you might not be vegan (i'm not) but it can save on your budget to start doing meatless meals as often as you can and portioning meat for meals. I make a killer vegetarian chili and lasagna,  it tastes just as good as the meat variety and saves our budget.

Basherte
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Instead of hamburger helper...

take some noodles, some meat, make a gravy, and make your own hamburger helper.

Add veggies. The best thing you can do is make a lot more things from scratch, because they will have less chemicals in them. and less salt. 

If you make a lot from scratch, you can actually give it more flavor than the stuff you buy in the store, and still have it healthier.

Plus you can do pizza from scratch and it tastes just as good as going to a pizza place. 

CafeMom Tickers
sweetheart4171
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I'd love the vegetarian chili recipe please!!

Quoting .strawberry.:

A tip, you might not be vegan (i'm not) but it can save on your budget to start doing meatless meals as often as you can and portioning meat for meals. I make a killer vegetarian chili and lasagna,  it tastes just as good as the meat variety and saves our budget.

stephs5isenough
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Thank You.  You've got some good stuff.  I appreciate it.

Quoting .strawberry.:

LIVING IN THE ARMS OF JESUS

stephs5isenough
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Thanks for the great ideas.

Quoting Basherte:

Add veggies. The best thing you can do is make a lot more things from scratch, because they will have less chemicals in them. and less salt. 

If you make a lot from scratch, you can actually give it more flavor than the stuff you buy in the store, and still have it healthier.

Plus you can do pizza from scratch and it tastes just as good as going to a pizza place. 

LIVING IN THE ARMS OF JESUS

babygirl4326
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM

BUMP!

Basherte
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM

You're welcome. If you want any specifics feel free to message me. I can write down the stuff that I've done. I shop on a budget for three people. Me, my hubby, and our son. Our son only eats certain things, so I can't be all that creative with his food, but it allows me to be very creative with the food I make for me and hubby.  Having to make two dinners every night does put a strain on our budget. 

One of the few things that we all eat is pizza. I've made pizza from scratch quite a few times. It's the only way (so far) that my son will eat veggies.

Quoting stephs5isenough:

Thanks for the great ideas.

Quoting Basherte:

CafeMom Tickers
Alyson121
by Alyson on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the other ladies. Cooking meatless meals, making more things from scratch, adding lots of veggies to your meals, etc really cuts down the budget. Also cutting out packaged snack foods and buying in bulk saves money as well. We are a family of 7 (and soon to be 8). I've found that I save the most when I shop stores with bulk bis. I buy grains in bulk, spices, dry cereals, beans, flours, even pancake mix or cake mix. Crock pot meals save time and money because you can cook big meals and have left overs for lunch.

Also, if you want to expand your food budget, see if you can cut other budgets like tv, clothing/accessories etc to see if you can free up some money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN