Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WOW

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 21 Replies

Okay, first let me start this post by saying that I realize that pan frying isn't very healthy.  We use veggie oil. 

We got some smelt (if you don't know what that is, it's a small fish. that is typically eaten with the bones in)

My husband lightly breaded the fish, and pan fried it. (we got it frozen already cleaned) 

My son, who is really picky about the stuff that he eats. He has some texture things going on there, it's part of his autism, LOVED the smelt.

I really need to get some more of this. He didn't eat much of it tonight as he had already had pizza. I just like to allow him to try everything that we eat, just in case he likes something, then we can add it to his menu. This way, also, if he doesn't like something new, then he isn't going to go hungry that night. 

I definitely have to get more of this fish.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aishamusty
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:37 AM

BUMP!

Basherte
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Quoting Aishamusty:

BUMP!

Thank you.

CafeMom Tickers
MamaMorgan0709
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM

How great! 

Basherte
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MamaMorgan0709:

How great! 

Thanks. It was really good. My son ate 2 of them that night. Which was on top of eating a pizza for one. 

Then the next day for lunch my son ate 6 of them, plus some goldfish. 

CafeMom Tickers
Krysden
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Good deal!    

Basherte
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Quoting Krysden:

Good deal!    

we got some more of that fish. We are going to prepare it the same way and then freeze most of it.  That way we have some ready done, just need to reheat fish sticks for my son for his lunches. 

We love it as well, but it isn't often that we find something that our son loves this much right away. So, we are gonna save them for him.

CafeMom Tickers
Krysden
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Quoting Basherte:
Quoting Krysden:

Good deal!    

we got some more of that fish. We are going to prepare it the same way and then freeze most of it.  That way we have some ready done, just need to reheat fish sticks for my son for his lunches. 

We love it as well, but it isn't often that we find something that our son loves this much right away. So, we are gonna save them for him.

You may have already thought of this but.... I'd recommend you try it that way with just a few pieces first.  You mentioned that your son has texture issues.   Freezing it ready done and then reheating it can change the texture (and flavor a bit depending on the freezer bag/container used and time in the freezer)  And it would be rotten to do all that only to find out after the fact that he won't eat it if the freezer changes it. 

Basherte
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Krysden:

Quoting Basherte:
Quoting Krysden:

Good deal!    

You may have already thought of this but.... I'd recommend you try it that way with just a few pieces first.  You mentioned that your son has texture issues.   Freezing it ready done and then reheating it can change the texture (and flavor a bit depending on the freezer bag/container used and time in the freezer)  And it would be rotten to do all that only to find out after the fact that he won't eat it if the freezer changes it. 

If he won't eat it after the freezer changes it, then we will. But I might just do enough for 2 meals. That way the leftover can just be put in the fridge. He's eaten them that way already. I put them in a ziplock bag and put them in the fridge, then just reheated them in the oven for lunch the next day. He had already had pizza that night for dinner. I gave him one, to see if he would like it. He did so I gave him another one before he was done eating the first one and he ate both... on top of a celeste pizza for one. Put 6 in that ziplock bag in the fridge, next day he ate all 6 of them. One minute they were cooling down some the next thing we know his plate is completely clean and there were no crumbs anywhere.  

CafeMom Tickers
EthansMomma2010
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:03 AM

yay! my son is autistic and hard to get to eat too. i might have to try this! idk if i wanna push my luck though. we've been on a pretty good streak with food lately. :)

Basherte
by on May. 3, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

yay! my son is autistic and hard to get to eat too. i might have to try this! idk if i wanna push my luck though. we've been on a pretty good streak with food lately. :)

I've been told about chicken nuggets that you can make from scratch as well. 

http://forfood.rezimo.com/2007/10/homemade-chicken-nuggets-mcdonalds-style-recipe/

I've looked at the recipe and it's easy, and sounds pretty healthy. Especially if your child likes the texture of those types of meats.  

If you want them even healthier, you could always bake them. I would do 375% until done. About 15 minutes or so consider they are small. I would check at 10 minutes. 

My son doesn't really like meat. He doesn't like the texture of it. It's too dense, too thick, or something. He loves frozen chicken nuggets, though. My son also likes tuna salad sammiches. I make mine with mayo, hard boiled egg, pickle relish.  

I always offer my son to taste whatever I have on my plate. It's gotten to the point where if he sees me eating something now, he wants to try it. Even if he's had it many times and doesn't like it. He tries it. I still make him his own dinner, just in case he doesn't like what I have on my plate. If he does like what I have on my plate, then his dinner goes to the fridge and is reheated the next day. Unless it's pizza. Then I just take it out of the fridge in the morning and cover it up so that it isn't cold and let him eat it that way. He sometimes likes his food almost cold. (Just not fridge cold)

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)