Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay, first let me start this post by saying that I realize that pan frying isn't very healthy.  We use veggie oil. 

We got some smelt (if you don't know what that is, it's a small fish. that is typically eaten with the bones in)

My husband lightly breaded the fish, and pan fried it. (we got it frozen already cleaned) 

My son, who is really picky about the stuff that he eats. He has some texture things going on there, it's part of his autism, LOVED the smelt.

I really need to get some more of this. He didn't eat much of it tonight as he had already had pizza. I just like to allow him to try everything that we eat, just in case he likes something, then we can add it to his menu. This way, also, if he doesn't like something new, then he isn't going to go hungry that night. 

I definitely have to get more of this fish.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Replies (21-21):
EthansMomma2010
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Me too!

Quoting Basherte:

Then you are probably safe.

*giggles* I don't have a spice rack. I have a cabinet that is full to almost overflowing with all kinds of spices.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

My kiddo is a snob. He wont eat much prepackaged stuff. Lol. Like he hates ravioli and mac and cheese. We have one or 2 meals per week maybe that are prepackaged. Mostly dh and I cook and we do healthy raw stuff for bfast and lunch. We just use garlic salt in place of salt. I suppose we should cut back but all of us are so low sodium throughtout the day that its not worth the trouble. I do have garlic powder and onion powder too. Just dont reach for them as much. We also use italian seasoning (no salt) a ton. It spices up any recipe :)

Quoting Basherte:

And anything you put that garlic salt, or any other ____ salt that you use.  I tend to use a lot of garlic, so I stopped buying the garlic salt. I also use a lot of onion powder, so I stopped buying the onion salt as well.  

That's pretty good that the sodium is so low. Kudos on that. It's kinda hard for a lot of parents to keep sodium down like that. There is a lot of salt in prepackaged stuff. Makes it hard to control.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

I havent. Honestly his diet is so low in sodium im not overly worried. The only sodium he gets is chicken and peanut butter.

Quoting Basherte:

Have you tried garlic powder? You can always add a little bit of salt to it if you need to.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

hahaha! and yes i tried the cheese sauce, he hates it!!! he does like some garlic salt, so while not the healthiest, i've been addng it to alot of veggies and stuff to make him eat it. i think he is sensitive to smell but since he can't talk, he doesn't know how to tell him.

Quoting Basherte:

Huh.  *giggles* Have you tried cheese sauce on the veggies? 

I love hot tea, hot cocoa, hot coffee, hot apple cider. 

One of sons would eat salad, but you needed to melt some butter and put it in a small bowl on the side.  *Giggles* We had salad, and seafood. He couldn't have the seafood, but we gave him some salad to go along with whatever it was we gave him that night. He saw us dipping our seafood into the melted butter and dipped a piece of lettuce into some melted butter. Darn near ate the whole salad  that way. LOL

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

huh. i don't think Ethan has ever had a hot drink now that you mention it. i'm not a huge fan of them myself though.

i wish veggies on pizza worked for him. he doesn't do veggies on pizza, sauce on pasta, or cheese on vegetables. non of the normal kid friendly eating tricks. he ate lotsof veggies until he turned 2. now it's down to like 2. We are working on it with the ot though.

Quoting Basherte:

For mine too. Though he is quick to want my hot tea when I'm drinking it. Doesn't want me to blow it cool. At least he isn't patient about waiting til it is cool enough for him to drink. I can't do that often though as my fave tea lately is chai. And that has a lot of caffeine in it. 

My son loves pizza. I can actually get him to eat veggies on pizza. I just have to cut them to smaller pieces.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

thanks for the tips. my son loves frozen chicken nuggets too. i need to make them now that i'm not so busy. and yes my son likes almost cold food too. idk what it is, but warm is "hot" to him. it's weird.

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

yay! my son is autistic and hard to get to eat too. i might have to try this! idk if i wanna push my luck though. we've been on a pretty good streak with food lately. :)

I've been told about chicken nuggets that you can make from scratch as well. 

http://forfood.rezimo.com/2007/10/homemade-chicken-nuggets-mcdonalds-style-recipe/

I've looked at the recipe and it's easy, and sounds pretty healthy. Especially if your child likes the texture of those types of meats.  

If you want them even healthier, you could always bake them. I would do 375% until done. About 15 minutes or so consider they are small. I would check at 10 minutes. 

My son doesn't really like meat. He doesn't like the texture of it. It's too dense, too thick, or something. He loves frozen chicken nuggets, though. My son also likes tuna salad sammiches. I make mine with mayo, hard boiled egg, pickle relish.  

I always offer my son to taste whatever I have on my plate. It's gotten to the point where if he sees me eating something now, he wants to try it. Even if he's had it many times and doesn't like it. He tries it. I still make him his own dinner, just in case he doesn't like what I have on my plate. If he does like what I have on my plate, then his dinner goes to the fridge and is reheated the next day. Unless it's pizza. Then I just take it out of the fridge in the morning and cover it up so that it isn't cold and let him eat it that way. He sometimes likes his food almost cold. (Just not fridge cold)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)