Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Working out in a gym pregnant

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

I want to get a 24 hr fitness membership not only for myself to get in better shape but for my husband.  The only way he will work out is if I work out with him. The problem is we are also thinking about getting pregnant again in a few months and I am not sure if I could use  the equipment. I know i can workout pregnant but i am not sure what type of exercises i can do in gym.  Has anyone worked out in a gym pregnant? What safe exercises can I do? I don't want to pay for something if I am not going to be able to use it for  few months. I will still workout at home pregant but i really want my husband to get into shape. I am worried about his weight.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on May. 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Talk to your doctor as well as the trainers at the gym so that you will know what you can safely do once you have confirmed a pregnancy.

Alyson121
by Alyson on May. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM

There are probably some classes you could take at the gym, like if they offered yoga or light aerobics. Not sure how safe it would be to use the equipment. 

JMmama
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I am not comfortable using the weight machines when I'm pregnant or doing classes like body pump or something where I'll be jumping up and down when I'm further along. However, if you have a normal, low risk pregnancy there wouldn't likely be any problem using the treadmill, eliptical, bikes, that kind of thing. Low impact cardio classes would also be good and if they have a pool swimming is great excercise for expecting moms.

SarahG82
by on May. 2, 2013 at 7:09 AM

When I was pregnant, I mainly stuck to the elliptical at the gym, but it's probably best to check with your doctor first.

jhslove
by on May. 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I kept going to the gym well into my eighth month of pregnancy, and pretty much kept with my usual routine with some minor tweaks. The day I went into labor, I walked four miles up and down hills.

Talk to your doctor, but as long as you don't have any special complications with your pregnancy, you don't let your heart rate get too high (I think 140 is the magic number), and later in your pregnancy you don't lift really heavy weights or do anything requiring you to lie on your stomach, you should be fine.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Welcome!  These ladies have some good advice:)  Good luck!

Basherte
by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Go to the gym you want to join and ask a trainer there. They would be able to tell you what is and isn't safe. I would also speak to a doctor about that.

CafeMom Tickers
mrsary
by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:22 AM
I still go. I do the eliptical and free weights.
brenatens
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM
By staying in shape you will have a healthier pregnancy and odds of a better delivery. You will want to talk to your doc about any restrictions, but it's always good to keep on the tredmill or eliptical
Dvegas
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Thankyou all for your advice. While pregnant with my last kid I only walked for 30-45 minutes a day with my dogs and I was all over the place at work walking around and using the stairs for exercise but i don't think that was enough. I ended up having a c-section and it was hell tryingto get up and walk around. I didn't  have much upper body strength to help push myself up and leg strength to hold my self up to try and walk right away like they wanted. I am hoping stay in shape during my next pregnancy to make things easier and I really want my husband to work out again and I know me workingout with him will help keep him motivated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN