Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Working out in a gym pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post

I want to get a 24 hr fitness membership not only for myself to get in better shape but for my husband.  The only way he will work out is if I work out with him. The problem is we are also thinking about getting pregnant again in a few months and I am not sure if I could use  the equipment. I know i can workout pregnant but i am not sure what type of exercises i can do in gym.  Has anyone worked out in a gym pregnant? What safe exercises can I do? I don't want to pay for something if I am not going to be able to use it for  few months. I will still workout at home pregant but i really want my husband to get into shape. I am worried about his weight.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Replies (11-11):
musicpisces
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I lifted throughout my pregnancy (at 24 Hour, actually!), and my doc was fine with it, because I'd been doing it before.  It's always best to check with your OB, but as someone who's studying to be a midwife, here's what the "general" advice is: (DO NOT TAKE MY ADVICE ABOVE WHAT YOUR DOCTOR/MIDWIFE SAYS!)

If you were doing it before, it's generally okay to continue.

Lighten up the weights a bit.

Drink plenty of water, carry it with you, and keep a snack handy.  Be sure to eat before (but soon enough to let it settle).

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY ABOVE ALL ELSE.  If you get light-headed, STOP and sit down immediately.  I know it happened to me a few times while lifting, and it's really important to listen to your body.  If you keep getting light-headed, lower the intensity some.  This was hard for me, as I'm a big heavy lifter!  LOL

As your pregnancy progresses, avoid exercises where you're laying on your back or focusing on your abs.  So things like crunches, bench bresses, etc should be avoided.  It has to do with blood flow to your uterus.  Usually once you get into the second trimester, it's best to avoid laying on your back.

Good luck TTC!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)