Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Sunburn

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi everyone,

I started a medication due to a bladder infection called bactrim.  I know it says to avoid prolonged sun.  I walk home from work so I figured I would use an umbrella and sun screen and I would be okay.  It was a mile walk.  Can you still get sun burned using an umbrella?  

by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on May. 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM

If the umbrella is keeping the sun's rays off of you, you should be fine.  Definitely use the sunblock though.

Alyson121
by Alyson on May. 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM

The umbrella should help keep you protected.  Also wearing clothing that covers your skin is good as well (meaning no tank tops, shorts, etc)

Rota
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Your umbrella should be fine. Please be careful about the use of sun block. For starters, we all need to get exposed to the sun for at least 15 minutes a day. ( wait until you have completed your antibiotic ). This fear of the sun is literally killing us as most of us are highly deficient in Vitamin D. Appropriate levels of Vit D in our blood actually prevents most cancers. Melanoma is usually found in people who work indoors- not in farm workers. People who live close to the Equator rarely have melanoma.

Second: most sunblock products contain chemicals that are harmful and even carcinogenic. So you are applying a product that actually can promote cancerous growth.Check out the EWG for list of safe sunblocks to use if you are going to be out long enough to burn.

EthansMomma2010
by on May. 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I agree with Rota. Also for what its worth I have never burned on bactrim or any other "burn" causing medicines. Do you burn easily?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)