Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Healthy meals on a tight budget

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am struggling with stayin healthy on a tight budget. I have a family of 5 and then 7 every other weekend. Our budget is $100 a week. I feel like its impossible. I don't buy snacks like chips or cookies. We don't frozen meals or hamburger helper. Any suggestions?

BethanyMom toJeremyWilliamJames

by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cmorris1200
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Try meatless Mondays.  Where you make a vegan/vegetarian meal for dinner.

2divasmom2019
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Eat more vegetarian dishes. We are a vegetarian family of 4, and although I various premade organic products- the majority is fruits veggies pastas, and grains. We are usually close to 100. I have spent 80 a week on many occasion and still get a large variety, but I never purchase meat products. Also if you buy in bulk, you can save some money.
AspensMama1537
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Buy tons of produce at a farmers market or do something like bountiful baskets.
Alyson121
by Alyson on May. 16, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Meal planning really helps.  Plan out your meals for the week and shop only for the items need to prepare those meals.  For example, if your making spaghetti and salad on for Meal 1, then buy fresh tomatoes to make the sauce, fresh herbs, spices (if you don't have them on hand already) and then a pack of noodles enough for our family.  Then buy whatever kind of salad ingredients you like.  Make sure to purchase them as they are, meaning not in packages as those tend to cost more.  Do this for each meal on the list.

And if you want to have snacks like popcorn, purchase the kernels in the bulk section vs. the microwave ones. 

Also, when preparing meals try to make them as close to scratch as possible.  Meaning, instead of buying veggie or chicken broth, make your own. Instead of buying a pancake mix, make the mix from scratch and so on.  Instead of buying tomato sauce, make your own, etc. 

Basherte
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM

make things from scratch.

You can do a hamburger helper yourself without the box. get noodles, some meat, and make a sauce for it. voila.

CafeMom Tickers
karisma22
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Have you tried cassaroles and crockpot meals?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)