Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

body care products

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM
  • 14 Replies
When it comes to soaps, shampoos, lotions, toothpastes, things you put on your and your kids bodies... What natural dye, fragrance free products do you like for your family.?I am grossed out by how many harmful ingredients are in everyday products we buy at stores.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AromaDrops33
by on May. 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM

My family uses DoTerra essential oil products mostly. They have a fabulous skin care/Hair care/Hygeine line of products that are 100% natural. I was skeptical at first, but my whole family has had great results and experiences with them, and I feel safer knowing I'm giving my family safe products to use

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I typically use Aveeno products on my son.  I use a variety of things!

michellefrogs
by New Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

If you can find it in a regular store like Target, Walmart, etc. then it's probably not good for you. There are a few exceptions. I know my Target sells Dr. Bronner's. I use Earth Mama Angel Baby soap, lotion, and bottom balm for my daughter. I use their lotion for myself. My husband and I use Bubble and Bee Organics soap. I do the no poo method and he uses a shampoo bar we get at our local health food store. We also use a locally made organic soap. I make my own deodorant. We use Earthpaste toothpaste. I use Dr. Bronner's or Eco-me for hand soap. Even a lot of the so called natural brands have harmful ingredients. I was in the natural beauty section at Target and was reading labels and a lot of them listed fragrance as an ingredient! That is one of the worst ingredients because you have absolutely no idea what it is! And just because it has the word organic in the name means absolutely nothing when it comes to personal care products. And I wouldn't trust Aveeno, they are owned by Johnson and Johnson's. J & J admitted they put carcinogens in their baby products! They promise to have them removed in a few years, but why so long and why put them there in the first place! Did you know these same chemicals are banned in Europe, so they make a different product to sell there. So sorry, my money goes to companies who care about my health! Sorry so long, I am very passionate about this issue!

Lilianaf
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I use melaleuca products. Everything you can buy at Walmart or target you can buy here (except toilet paper). 

Rota
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I agree with Michelle. Skin care products must be safe and natural ( just because something is natural does not make it safe). Petroleum is natural but I would not put it on my lips ( CHapstik), put it on a baby's bottom ( A&D ointment, etc. I use all natural, safe and green products from Shaklee. I do not have time to make anything so I get their laundry, dish, and personal care products- including soap, shampoo and toothpaste. Shaklee's philosophy is this - if you can eat it you can put it on your skin. They guarantee all their products are free of harmful ingredients and they work ( and save me money).

LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM
I make most of my own stuff, use Dr. Bronner's for soap, coconut oil for conditioner, no shampoo, salt stone for deodorant and I have started making my own make up.
EthansMomma2010
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM
I use perfectly posh products, clean kids naturally, toms of Maine flouride free toothpaste, and make a lot of stuff.
EthansMomma2010
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Do you have a link for making your own makeup? I've been wanting to cut that expense and chemicals out of my routine.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

I make most of my own stuff, use Dr. Bronner's for soap, coconut oil for conditioner, no shampoo, salt stone for deodorant and I have started making my own make up.
EthansMomma2010
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM
I hadn't heard of shaklees until I started googling health stores near where we are moving. Good to know they are good products.

Quoting Rota:

I agree with Michelle. Skin care products must be safe and natural ( just because something is natural does not make it safe). Petroleum is natural but I would not put it on my lips ( CHapstik), put it on a baby's bottom ( A&D ointment, etc. I use all natural, safe and green products from Shaklee. I do not have time to make anything so I get their laundry, dish, and personal care products- including soap, shampoo and toothpaste. Shaklee's philosophy is this - if you can eat it you can put it on your skin. They guarantee all their products are free of harmful ingredients and they work ( and save me money).

michellefrogs
by New Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I don't trust Shakalee and definitely don't trust Melaleuca. If you look at the ingredients in their baby wash, it's a bunch of chemicals and the dreaded "parfum". Parfum or fragrance can be anything and companies do not have to disclose what chemicals make up the parfum or fragrance. When reading ingredient labels as soon as I see parfum or fragrance I immediately put the item back on the shelf! Here's a link to some greenwashers, companies that claim to make safe, natural products, but don't. The woman who runs the website is just a mom like you and I and she has read many product labels. http://ecofriendlyusa.wordpress.com/product-reviews/greenwashers/

Another great resource I use is safemama.com. She has great cheat sheets that list her choice of safe baby products.

It's very hard because some of these companies are jumping on the organic, natural bandwagon and are far from it.

The best advice I can say is just read the ingredients and research each one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN