Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Road trip snacks

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM
  • 7 Replies
I'm thinking of making homemade rice krispy treats and granola bars for a long road trip with an 18month old and 3 year old and was wandering what would be some good healthy add-ins? Also if anyone has any good recipies and tips please pass those along too :-)
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jun. 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM

fruit (bananas, apple slices, grapes/raisins, cheese & crackers.

Basherte
by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Raw veggies.

My mom always brought pop tarts, but they aren't all that healthy.

If you are willing to take a cooler with you... you could add cheese to that list.

Just about anything is road trip okay, snack wise, I mean. Especially if you are willing to take a small cooler.

CafeMom Tickers
alysson99
by Member on Jun. 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I agree on the fresh fruit, we also normally have peanuts and fruit leathers. I took a 9000 mile road trip with a 3 year old, and we didn't really have anything special, we focused on keeping our meal times somewhat normal, and he didn't snack a whole lot.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:46 PM

We typically pack a mini cooler with sandwiches the children like, lots of fresh fruit and veggies, nuts, water, dates and that typically would last until we got to a grocery store.  I always rout out healthy grocery stores on our road trips so that when we stop we can eat and reload up on road trip food. 

bottomline
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Fruit, applesauce(they make disposable, single serve), and pb and crackers.

Cushty
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Make sugar free seed bars/bites? [ripe bananas, raisins, coconut, cinnamon, oats (or buckwheat flakes) baked low for 20 mins]

Prepared slices of prepared melon, pineapple or mango too!

Have a great trip!

KLove_Mom
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Stay away from chocolate because if it melts in their hands it will get everywhere.

Whatever you put in it, make sure the chunks are really small since you won't necessarily be watching them every minute they are eating to see if they are choking on something.

Dried fruits and raisins would be good for granola.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN