Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Anxiety disorders

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 2 Replies
So, I've been reading and I think I might have a social phobia. I'm sitting here in my living room while my family is out camping because I just couldn't do it...I was stressed going into it and stressed the whole time I was there last night - so much that I couldn't sleep or relax with friends or really enjoy myself at all - so this morning at 7:30, I eagerly ran back home leaving my husband with our girls and our friends.

It's not just this, though. I get stressed and extremely fearful when the THOUGHT of going out arises; be it for a day at the zoo, a weekend camping, or a week at a relative's house, to the point that I find myself at home while the family is out having fun. I feel so bad, because I don't want this to affect my girls - they're both social butterflies. I want them to experience the world in so many ways, but I'm truly having a hard time leaving the house ( I'll take them to school, or the library where I can sit in the back by myself). I feel like I'm fucking crazy and now it's affecting my relationship with my husband because he can't understand why I never want to hang out with him; but it's not HIM and it has never been him, it's the fact that to him, quality family time means getting out and doing stuff together, a move that I'm severely uncomfortable with.

I don't know what to do or how to handle this. Has anyone else ever been through this? I'm just so sick of being stuck behind these walls :-(
by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Melissa823
by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Everyone is going to say this, and you'll probably blow it off...and I don't say that in a snarky way, I say it because that's what everyone who struggles with anxiety does. It's what I did, but when you finally get up the courage, these are the things I believe help.

1. See a GOOD cognitive behavioral therapist. I chose one who is a Christian because it's in line with what I believe - and I believe that part of it in the mix was crucial for my recovery. This needs to be someone who won't JUST listen, but also teach you techniques to cope when anxious situations arise. 

2. See a nutritionist if you can afford it. Changing my diet to eliminate gluten and dairy made an immediate difference. I'm not saying that will work for you, but finding your specific dietary issues might help. Also taking supplements like Magnesium Glycinate and ER911 mouth spray have been helpful to me.

3. READ and UNDERSTAND: Books like "When Panic Attacks" by Burns is a hard read but opened my eyes to why I panic and how to overcome it with strategy. Also the "Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Bourne has been very key to my recovery. My therapist used it with me and I have friends that use it.

4. Get a relaxation/hypnosis CD Michael Gurgovich "Relieve Anxiety with Hypnosis" is great....You're not hypnotized in the sense that you are unaware, it just helps you to relax.

5. Exercise: It chemically releases endorphins that counteract anxious ones.

6. Don't wait to get help.

Believe that there is help for you. You CAN overcome this!!

God bless.

alc4evermom
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to have a low self esteem which is no longer the case.  I was abused and believed that everyone else had something different than me---like strength, and it was intimidating.  Then i got older and realized that most people are just as confused as i was.   I also  learned that a lot of people are creepy lol---they don't deserve my attention.  With my feelings toward people and lack of trust, I am surprised I found a man that I like and trust so much.

You can grow out of it if you work for it and give yourself a chance.   Counseling can help but drugs never solve the underlying issue.  They just make you mask and bury the problem and it never becomes resolved.  This is coming from someone who survived years of clinical depression.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN