Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Delaying your period?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 2 Replies

Have any of you ever used birth control pills to delay your period? If so, did it work? When did you start taking them?

My husband and I are going on vacation at the end of this week and I'm due to start my period at the beginning of next week. So basically we're going to get there (we're going to the beach too, btw) and then I'm going to start which really sucks. It happened last year as well (poor planning I guess) and I'd rather it not happen again if I can find a way around it.

I have an IUD (paragard), so I'm not at all concerned about that part of it.

I have an unopened pack of BC from when I was on them a year ago and was thinking if I just started them tomorrow morning, that might work and I'd just take them long enough to go on vacation and then stop when I got back. I'm just not sure if taking them now would do anything at all.

I know there are also pills you can get from a doctor, but we actually don't have insurance right now, so that's kind of out of the question.

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
alysson99
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

If you have a menstrual cup (like the Diva Cup), it's basically like your period isn't there. Although the first day or wheneveryour flow is heavier requires a little more work (cleaning out a few times), after that you can leave it in all day and it is just like not having your period. I was actually on a trip a few weeks ago and knew my period had a good chance of starting and I forgot to bring mine, so I ended up finding a store that had it and bought a new one. It was worth it, especially because I was staying with friends that had a young child, and I wouldn't want him finding anything in the trash, and it was great being on the road with it as well.

I wouldn't try the birth control, it may not stop your upcoming period from coming, aren't you supposed to start it a specific day based on your cycle (the one time I wad on it I had to start right after my period ended). It could do some really weird things to you and your cycle, why risk it?

candygirl831
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I don"t know abouy delaying your period. I'm on BC to regulate my period because mine has always been irregular. From what I know you can't just start bc I had to start mine the Sunday after my period started
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN