Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

taking Docycycline during 1st trimester of pregnancy

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
  • 3 Replies

Has anybody taking docycyline during 1st trimester of pregnancy? I'm not sure if I was pregnant or not. I just found out i'm pregnant yesterday. Three weeks ago I was given docycycline for a ten day treatment and I'm wondering if I was already pregnant and if so; does it cause any adverse affects to the baby??

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Basherte
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM

You probably want to talk to a doctor about this. Only a doctor can tell you what you are looking for. It also depends on how far along you are. 3 weeks ago? I would have to say that you were probably pregnant.

Just to be on the safe side, talk to a doctor. I don't think anyone can actually tell for a fact whether or not that medicine could or would or will affect the baby. No one knows exactly what does and doesn't cross the barrier between you and baby.

CafeMom Tickers
proud03
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I spoke to my doctor yesterday and did some research. She said that taking Docycycline can be harmful if taken during the 2nd and 3rd trimester of pregnancy; being that it can cause teeth discoloration and delay bone growth; but once the medication is out of the system; bone growth returns to normal. There is no known data that indicates it causes harm if taken during the first trimester. Thanks for your reply ;)

Alyson121
by Alyson on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Doxycycline Pregnancy Warnings

Doxycycline has been assigned topregnancy category D by the FDA. Animal studies have revealed evidence of embryo- and fetotoxicity, including toxic effects on skeletal formation. There are no controlled data in human pregnancies. However, congenital defects have been reported with the class of tetracyclines. Fetal effects may be dose-related. When used during tooth development (second half of pregnancy) tetracyclines may cause permanent yellow-gray-brown discoloration of the teeth and enamel hypoplasia. Doxycycline is only recommended for use during pregnancy when there are no alternatives and benefit outweighs risk.

Population-based data from the Hungarian Case-Control Surveillance of Congenital Abnormalities revealed that of 32,804 women who had infants with no defects, 63 (0.19%) were treated with doxycycline during pregnancy. 18,515 women had infants with congenital abnormalities, and 56 of these (0.3%) were treated with doxycycline. Data were based on retrospective recall and did not include alcohol or tobacco usage. In mass casualty settings after release of biological weapons, the Working Group on Civilian Biodefense has recommended doxycycline as an alternative drug for prophylaxis and treatment of anthrax, tularemia, and plague. The risk is outweighed by the high fatality rates from these infections.

Doxycycline Breastfeeding Warnings

Doxycycline is excreted into human milk. Theoretical risks of dental staining and inhibition of bone growth exist although they are unlikely. Tetracycline, a related drug, is considered compatible with breast-feeding by the American Academy of Pediatrics. However, the manufacturer recommends that because of the risk of serious potential adverse reactions in nursing infants, a decision should be made whether to continue nursing or discontinue the drug, taking into account the importance of the drug to the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN