Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Runners please....

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 12 Replies

Okay..so I honestly haven't worked out in around ten years. I mean really worked out. I made attempts but they failed :(. I am not necessarily "over weight" but I am very out of shape. I am trying to get back into eating really healthy again. I kind of got off of that band wagon for awhile.

Does anyone have any advice for someone just starting out? How start out, etc? I was looking into that Couch to 5k program......

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alysson99
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

The couch to 5k program is what a lot of people use to get into running (I used it as well). I think it's great, it makes starting out running doable. Start that, and maybe pick a 5k a couple of months out as motivation, and you will be running in no time. The key to starting out running and exercising is always to not do too much too fast. If you jump into too much, you will get injured or exhausted, and then you won't want to do it anymore. If you take your time, you build up and it makes it a lot easier.

There is a CafeMom Running group, think about joining them. There are many new runners on there, as well as seasoned ones.

raegan1221
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Awesome, thanks! I just realized that I put "Cough to 5k" lol. I went and fixed that. Actually there is a 5k Color Run here on October 19th..so far that is my goal. Thanks for your help. :)

Quoting alysson99:

The couch to 5k program is what a lot of people use to get into running (I used it as well). I think it's great, it makes starting out running doable. Start that, and maybe pick a 5k a couple of months out as motivation, and you will be running in no time. The key to starting out running and exercising is always to not do too much too fast. If you jump into too much, you will get injured or exhausted, and then you won't want to do it anymore. If you take your time, you build up and it makes it a lot easier.

There is a CafeMom Running group, think about joining them. There are many new runners on there, as well as seasoned ones.

MamaCeleste0722
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Yep, I agre with the PP! C25K program is great. If you have a smartphone, active.com has a c25k app that you can use. If you're going to start running, please get fitted for shoes at a running store! That will help prevent injury as well. 

alysson99
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I agree on the shoes, and the color run in October sounds like a perfect first 5k.

rebeccasmly
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I really enjoyed the Couch to 5K program as did my oldest teen son. If you would like to start running, I would suggest you give it a try.

musicpisces
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, C25K is great!  For me, it was actually too much, because I was so heavy and out of shape.  I have a journal about my weight loss journey, where I talk about how I got started running (if you want to read it, click here).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

GypsiSky
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Couch to 5k is awesome!

Barabell
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm also working on getting back into shape after multiple years of activity. I'm not doing running, but I have a gym in my work building that I'm going to fairly regularly.

My input is that it takes 6 weeks to make something a habit. Come up with a plan to fit running into your weekly schedule, and then really, really push to stay consist with that schedule for 6 weeks. I think you'll find at the end of those 6 weeks that it will be easier to stick to the routine of running, even if life interferes and you miss a day once in awhile.

Barabell
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:29 AM
*inactivity (should have been years of inactivity in 1st paragraph)
Hottmomma607
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN