Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Healthy Ways to Deal with Stress?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:28 PM
  • 10 Replies
I'm constantly stressed out. I'm a single mom of 2 young boys. They are 4 yrs old and 20 months old. My 4 yr old is special needs. I need some ideas to deal with this stress before I have a heart attack or something.
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
printerr
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Breathe....slow and deep (all the way down into your belly).  Also, make sure to get some "you time." Pamper  yourself.  Good luck!

bottomline
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Exercise. You can use your body as a weight so no fancy equipment needed. Do jumping jacks, push ups, squats, jumping squats, mountain climbers, burpees....and repeat. 30 minutes of that activity will have your stress level lowered for sure.

AvonGalAnne
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I find running really helps me when I'm stressed out.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Yoga is really helpful, 10 minutes a day is all you need.  There are tons of free videos on YouTube.  Make sure you get plenty of living foods in your system as things like artificial dyes, chemicals and other additives in foods affects us.  Having a good friend or family who can help with the children, like take them to the park or even hang out can be really helpful as well.  Talking about what is stressing you helps to ease the stress as well.  Hugs are great stress relievers too. 

musicpisces
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I find exercise really helps.  I also feel better in general when I eat better.

Even taking some time and just coloring can be therapeutic!  And it's something you can do with the kids!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Basherte
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Take some time to sit in a tub full of hot water. Excercise. st. john's wart. chamomile tea at night between the time that your little ones go to bed and you go to bed.  surround yourself with a support team.

CafeMom Tickers
awesomemom777
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Make life as easy as possible. I suffer from fibromyalgia, and often times it can make simple task like cooking and cleaning very difficult. My doctor suggested that I use as many shortcuts as possible. Two of my favorite tricks: buy pre cut produce & ordering my meats online. My local grocery store has a large variety a pre-cut or pre-sliced produce. It is amazing how much effort and time I save by using already diced onions and tomatos. http://www.grassfedbeefcompany.com has an amazing selection of beef that can be delivered directly to your home. Bonus, their cattle are all grass fed :)

Hope this helps!
Ashley 

alc4evermom
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Free weights!  They are cheap.  Get a couple of lighter ones and at least one fifteen pound one and do some Excerises.  

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM

There are a lot of ways to deal with stress, but you also have to make a conscious effort to do so and sometimes may have to force yourself to slow down even when you feel compelled not to.

* Breathe.  It sounds deceptively easy, but take slow, deep breathes in through your nose and let it go all the way down to your belly and then exhale slowly out through your mouth.  You can do this anywhere. Close your eyes for a second and do this when you feel a little overwhelmed and do a few of them.  It helps to slow everything down.

* Exercise.  Excercise doesn't have to be fancy or anything like that.  Just get moving.  Exercise helps to release endorphines and is a good stress reliever.  Anything from taking a walk/run, biking, hiking, swimming, dancing around in your livingroom. 

* Yoga.  You can do this at home and do it for like 10 minutes.  Yoga makes you concentrate and slow down and is a good way to re-center yourself.  You can buy a dvd or even go on line.

* Do something simple and mindless.  I read a lot - it helps me to step away from myself and helps me to relax.  I also write sometimes to do that. 

* Take a long, hot bubble bath. 

* Eat healthy and try chamomile tea.  What we eat has a huge effect on our bodies so eating well is important.  Cut out processed foods and foods high in sugar and artificial ingredients.

* Find time to yourself.  I know it's easier said than done, but you have to MAKE time for yourself.  Even if it's a half an hour to do nothing - do it!  Ask family to babysit maybe?

* Don't be afraid to not only ask for help but take the help when offered.

* Make life easier for yourself.  You don't have to do everything, so figure out what you can let slide and where you can take shortcuts.  It not only buys you time, but it does help you out.  For me, something as simple as buy pre-cut vegetables helps me in alleviating the stress of making dinner. 

LindaClement
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Learn to direct your thoughts by choice... usually called Mindfulness Meditation, it comes in a variety of flavours and colours... 

... but learning to think what you wand and choose to think, instead of letting your mind do 'whatever' it habitually does, will ease your stress.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN