Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
Just got down watching the documentary and I really want to start juicing. Anyone have a juicer they'd recommend? And where is the cheapest place to shop for fruits and veggies?
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunaleigh418
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Bump!
alysson99
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I don't know about a juicer (I do smoothies instead), but the cheapest place that I have found to buy produce is a farmer's market. Of course, it really depends on the market near you. I have one that is mostly local produce, and actually open Mon-Sat. I will also say that you dont necessarily want the cheapest when it comes to produce. A farmers market is normally fine because it is sometimes organic, and since it travels less if it is local, it also is probably much frester, but I do a lot of smoothies and I buy a lot of organic for that. What is the point of putting all of of that healthy stuff in you if it also has a bunch of nasty stuff in it as well, especially when you do it in high amounts.

Costco often has produce that is cheaper as well, and sometimes organic as well. If you plan on doing a lot of juicing, bulk can really make sense.

shaunaleigh418
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Thanks! Produce is so expensive by me!

Quoting alysson99:

I don't know about a juicer (I do smoothies instead), but the cheapest place that I have found to buy produce is a farmer's market. Of course, it really depends on the market near you. I have one that is mostly local produce, and actually open Mon-Sat. I will also say that you dont necessarily want the cheapest when it comes to produce. A farmers market is normally fine because it is sometimes organic, and since it travels less if it is local, it also is probably much frester, but I do a lot of smoothies and I buy a lot of organic for that. What is the point of putting all of of that healthy stuff in you if it also has a bunch of nasty stuff in it as well, especially when you do it in high amounts.

Costco often has produce that is cheaper as well, and sometimes organic as well. If you plan on doing a lot of juicing, bulk can really make sense.

TiffanyD78
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM
If your looking to be healthy or lose weight look into the benefits of Moringa Oleifera. Most people struggle because they lack nutrients that are in today's foods. Even our most healthiest fruits and vegetables lack nutrients than they did 4 decades ago due to soil depletion. My family and I drin Moringa everyday (from Zija) which is PURE nutrition. There is also a tea and its a detox. We all eat and breathe toxins everyday, which is why it's important to rid our bodies of it. For weight loss, people will eat properly and exercise to lose weight which is awesome, but some hit a wall and just can't lose the weight and become frustrated. If you aren't detoxing your liver, fat builds up because it has no where to go. Just keep those things in mind. Our bodies were designed for pure nutrition, not fad diets. If they worked, everyone would be doing it. If you would like more info, I would be more than happy to help you!
APSedi
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a Breville and I love it!!

Saphira1207
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:24 PM

My mom has one that is AWESOME!  it takes the pulp out as it juices, which we like since we're not pulp people here.  Let me ask her what brand it is and I'll get back to you.  :)

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I only eat real food. Whole food.

Taking the fibre out of a food to make it a beverage doesn't, in my rabid opinion, qualify.

Best idea of your life: get active, and eat whole (actually whole, not purified or processed or ground or milled or pureed...) food.

Shortcuts are attractive.

They're a trap.

Basherte
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I would de seed the fruit and use a food processor. Then just add whatever you want to it.

However, I prefer to just eat the fruit.

For my son, I am thinking about getting a juicer as well, because there are some fruits he won't eat, but he likes the flavor of them. (It's a texture thing) I will be using it for smoothies though instead of adding a lot of sugar and such that he doesn't really need. I'll use the fruit to help cover the flavor of the veggies that I will add to it. He refuses to eat any veggies at all. So, I'm trying to add those to his diet by any means possible.  I won't be adding ice cream to any of his drinks though either. 1. He doesn't like ice cream. 2. it defeats the purpose of giving him fruit in that form.

I will probably add some no fat yogurt though. He loves yogurt.

CafeMom Tickers
Miss_Mandy80
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I had the same motivation when I watched it...never did get my juicer! lol. Good Luck =)

Barabell
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM

No experience with a juicer.

The cheaper places for us to buy fruits and veggies are the farmers market and Trader Joes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)