Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Weird question about yogurt

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 5 Replies

I can't drink milk or eat ice cream, but I can tolerate most cultured dairy such as cottage cheese, sour cream, ext.  being pregnant seems to raise my tolerance, which is funny because that happened in my first pregnancy.  Yay more cheese!!!  

My question is, I would love to make some home made tzatziki but I was wondering for you lactose intolerant types out there, if yogurt bothers you?  I haven't had it in years but I don't think that diary free would be any good---unless some of you vegans out there have an alternative?  Thanks!

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Alyson121
by Alyson on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:20 AM

I'm not lactose intolerant, however i did find a few vegan recipes for you. 

Vegan Tzatziki

By Veganized
Added July 10, 2007 | Recipe #239629
Categories: Dip Appetizer Condiments, etc. More
Recipe
Ratings & Reviews(12)
Photos(1)

Photo by Prose
1/1 Photo of Vegan Tzatziki
Add Your Photo

Rate it! | Read 12 Reviews
Total Time:
Prep Time:
Cook Time:
2 hrs 15 mins
15 mins
2 hrs
Veganized's Note:
This Greek dip is just wonderful! It makes a perfect accompaniment to barbecued food...
Print RecipeFull Screen
SAVE THIS RECIPE TO:
Cookbook Menu
Meal Planner Shopping List
MANAGE THIS RECIPE:
Add a Private Note
Submit a Correction Ask a Question
SHARE THIS RECIPE:
276Send via Email Send to Mobile
Ingredients:

Servings:
4-6
Units: US | Metric
12 ounces firm silken tofu (1 box)
3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
pepper, to taste
1 cucumber, seeded and grated
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (optional) or 1 tablespoon fresh mint (optional)
Directions:

In a blender/food processor blend silken tofu, lemon juice, vinegar and 1/2 tsp salt. When creamy, add chopped garlic and oil. Blend again.
Taste, add pepper to taste and more salt if needed. Set aside.
Squeeze the grated cucumber between hands. (Squeeze out as much water as possible.).
Add cucumber (and herbs, if using) to tofu dip, and stir to blend.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours.

Read more: <a href="http://greek.food.com/recipe/vegan-tzatziki-239629?oc=linkback">http://greek.food.com/recipe/vegan-tzatziki-239629?oc=linkback</a>

Alyson121
by Alyson on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Raw Vegan Wraps With Tzatziki Sauce

superfood-wrap-vegan-1

superfood-wrap-vegan2

This recipe is refreshing, light, easy to make, and delicious! It requires no cooking and is vegan and paleo friendly — make it for lunch or for a crunchy snack.

Ingredients:

Raw Vegan Tzatziki Sauce -

1 cup cashews, soaked for 1-3 hours
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp fresh dill
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
2 garlic cloves
1 cup chopped cucumber
salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients , except cucumber, in food processor and pulse until smooth. Add cucumber and pulse until incorporated but still slightly chunky. Place tzatziki sauce in jar and let it sit in refrigerator for at least an hour, to allow the flavors to mix together.

Raw Vegan Superfood Wraps-

Swiss chard or collard greens, stems removed
Julienned or sliced red peppers
Julienned or sliced carrots
Julienned or sliced cucumber
Sliced sweet onion
Fresh sweet red pepper hummus (or whatever flavor you prefer)

Lay leaf flat and spread fresh hummus evenly. Add a few slices of peppers, carrots, cucumbers and onions. Top with tzatziki sauce and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Gently roll into a wrap. These wraps are a bit messy but they are colorful and tasty. Eat and enjoy!

tiniowien
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM

In my case I can't eat much yogurt, my DD love it, I did figure out how to make healthier deviled eggs and egg salad using plain Greek yogurt 

motamaid
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM
By the way we have had soy yogurt from stonybook and "so delicious" brand coconut and they both rock.
LindaClement
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Yogurt doesn't have much lactose in it. The longer you 'grow' it, the less lactose there is --yogurt is easy to make...

If you can't eat cheese, you're not lactose intolerant, you're allergic to the protein. There's virtually no lactose in any cheese: the rennet digests it as it solidifies the curd, the rest goes away with the whey as it's drained. 

Best to stay away from it and just eat other foods. The Dairy Bureau has spent millions (lots of them on the educational materials for nutritionists and dieticians --isn't that nice of them?) trying to portray cow's milk products as 'essential' for human life, but they aren't. Cow's milk is A food, that may be A component of a healthy diet, but it's  long, long way from an ESSENTIAL food for anyone but calves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN