Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

healthy kids birthday?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 6 Replies
Does anyone have any great ideas for a healthy menu for a kids birthday party? We plan on doing a fruit "cake". I have no idea what to serve though. We will be feeding 25-30 people. So we want something easy. Its in September so soup would be too hot.
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
CorpCityGrl
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:47 AM

We did a healthy pizza, which was a hit.  Take refrigerated pizza dough (we used the Pillsbury brand), roll it out and par bake in the oven till slightly brown.  Chop up a bunch of veggies really small (we used peppers and broccoli).  Spread the bottom of the crust with some softened low-fat cream cheese and sprinkle the finely chopped veggies on top and serve.

I also made a healthy mac and cheese and no one noticed.  Basically the sauce is made of pureed carrots.  You boil carrots with some water until tender and then place in a blender to blend until smooth.  If it's too thick, add a bit more water or even some low-fat milk.  Put back in a pan over low heat and throw in your shredded cheese (I use a mixture of cheddar and fontina usually) until the cheese is melted and you have a smooth mixture (again, if it's too thick add more water or low-fat milk).  Season to taste and toss with your pasta and quickly broil in the oven.  No one notices the difference!

michellefrogs
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Check out weelicious.com. She always has great recipes. She has a great recipe for chicken fajita casserole that feeds about 12 people. Or you could make a bunch of chicken in a crock pot and have a make your own fajitas or tacos with sautéed peppers, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. And make beans and rice on the side. 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Do you have a theme? I'd say probably anything your going to make yourself is gonna be healthy.  Salads seem to be the simplest things.  You could also do wraps and have different fillings.  There is always the standard fruit tray, veggie tray and cheese platter.  You could do blue corn shiips and salsa.  You could do sandwich trays, like have different kinds of meats and breads for people to make their own. 

motamaid
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM
At my kids' parties I have wooden skewers and a bunch of fresh fruit cut up. Chunks of apples, oranges, grapes, chunk pineapple, strawberries, etc As well as cherry or grape tomatoes, broccoli florets, cauliflower, red peppers, various cubes of cheeses.....sometimes cooked nitrate free turkey dogs (Oscar Meyer, like $2.50@walmart) And they can make their own kabobs. Some dips you can make super healthy are plain, fat free Greek yogurt dips. One can be yog w/ honey or jam and cinnamon, one put fresh chives, dill, onion powder, salt, pepper, garlic etc. Make them to taste.
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:37 AM

We never invited that many people to a party, so the issue never arose.

We also only ever had 'homemade cake, homemade ice cream, tea, coffee and water' for kid parties (we always made the kid-guests bring a parent :D)

Of course, they were also 90 minutes long, after 1:30 in the afternoon, so there was no question of there being any kind of meal served...

aidensmomma508
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

We went to a party recently and thy had different salads steamers fruit , healthy snacks like goldfish, sunflower seeds, teddy Graham's.  juice and water for drinks 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)