Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Overwhelmed!!!! (PIOG)

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 8 Replies
I'm 35, 5' 2 1/2", 153 lbs. This is the most I've ever weight in my life!! I really need to start doing something abut it. I'm in need of some help figuring my BMR and the best way to start working on losing this weight and getting healthier!! There's just sooo many diets and exercise plans, I really dont know where to start! Also, I have RA, which makes exercising difficult at times. Not just the physical issues from it, but the fatigue and depression as well.
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!!
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SarahG82
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM

BUMP!

LindaClement
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I would strongly recommend 'Strong Women Stay Young' and 'Younger Next Year'...

Stay away from diets unless you'd like to aim your sights at joining the over-800lb club...

morning_glories
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

SparkPeople.com really helped me. There is advice and diet and exercise plans. You can keep track of every food you eat and every move you make. What really helped me was entering ever thing I put in my mouth, partly because it could be time consuming at times and if I felt hungry I would think. Do I really want this snack so much that I am willing to spend the time to enter it into my daily food tracker. lol

Try it, it is really helpful.

Jenndill
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Keeping a food journal ( it can be old fashioned or online) can help you see exactly what you are eating. Keeping track of calories, and nutrients (fat, proteins, and carbs) will help.

What is your diet like? Diets are faddish, and most often cause the weight to come back. A healthy regimen of clean eating and exercise can be a lifestyle.

It is not easy to change or do a 180 overnight. Making small changes over time, make a big difference long term. Small changes can include cutting out foods that don't need to be there (processed doors, excess sugar, sodas, etc), and adding in healthy items (drinking more water, eating more servings of fruits and veggies, adding healthy fats, etc.)

Exercise is important for all of us. It sounds like you need something low impact, that will be kind to your joints. I would suggest swimming, elliptical machine, bicycle, low-impact aerobics, yoga, Pilates, and walking. There are number and variety of things you can do. Try building up to doing more and more. Exercise twice a week, then build to three, four, etc.

Exercise will help with fatigue and depression. Doing strength training will help strengthen the joints, and in turn, help with the pain/stiffness. You can strength train with light dumbbells, resistance tubing, weight machines, or household goods (think of the big bottles of laundry detergent!)

What types of things are you interested in exercise wise?

Try not to get discouraged. Just remember that it can take some time. Don't give up. You can do this! There are ladies her that want to help.
Good luck to you.

BMR - 4.35 x 153 = 665.55
4.7 x 63 = 296.1
665.55 + 296.1 + 655 = 1616.65
35 x 4.7 = 164.50

1616.65 - 164.50 = 1452.15

BMR = 1, 452
sonshining
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Above posts have good advice. I'm trying to lose some belly fat myself. Take it slow, don't do drastic diets. Start with watching sweets and carb intake. Subsitute chips and cookies with fruits and veggies. I try to not keep sweet snacks in the house. If it's not there, it;s not tempting. After one week, check the scale, don't check it every day. If it's a pound you lose, good for you! Try for two the next week. If you can't exercise much move around as much as you can with activities like housework, walking in the parking lots etc...

smfox
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Thank you for the advise ladies!! I really appreciate it!!
suetoo
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I have lupus and degenerative osteoarthritis, so I feel your pain. I try to stretch and walk as much as I can. Some days are easier than others, for sure. I'm puffy from prednisone and try to cut down portion size.

Basherte
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I would recommend not worrying too much about bmi. I wouldn't worry about any special diet to lose weight either. I would look at how you eat, and change it by adding more veggies and fruits, and less junk food, then also make the dishes you create and serve a little healthier by using the lower fat ingredients when you can, and when it won't change the flavor of the dish too much. That will help you not only lose weight but will help you to keep off the weight. Remember a little junk food here and there will not kill you and will help to keep the binging monster from your life. You will lose weight a tiny bit slower doing it this way, but it is the healthiest way to do it.  Also excersice when you can, don't be too hard on yourself when you can't. Maybe add some st john's wart to your diet as well, that will help with the depression... maybe.

Also if you are cutting down portion sizes, using smaller plates will help tremendously. I didn't think it would until I tried it. I am fuller with less food this way. Because I my plate is really full of food and is actually the right amounts. I feel fuller when I'm done eating those smaller amounts of food.

Good luck.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN