Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Do you have house plants?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 23 Replies

I'm afraid I'd kill em!

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
julesjerry
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM

why?

Bleacheddecay
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I have one that I've kept alive. It's a very easy plant. It's called a chocolate shamrock. I won it at a staff meeting over 12 years ago.

The leaves open up when it is morning and sunny, then close in the evening. Sometimes it puts out white flowers. When it doesn't open in the morning that's it's way of telling me it needs water. If that doesn't work, it needs a bigger container or fresh dirt to eat the nutrients off of.

Mine is big now. I'm thinking of separating it into smaller plants and giving them away to my ex boss, current friend and some other loved ones next time I transplant it.

LindaClement
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Yes, lots. 6 or 7 pots of Aloe Vera, a couple of unidentified palms, a Christmas cactus or 2... a pot with some random plants I don't know the name of at all...

celestegood
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
That's neat. I might try that.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I have one that I've kept alive. It's a very easy plant. It's called a chocolate shamrock. I won it at a staff meeting over 12 years ago.

The leaves open up when it is morning and sunny, then close in the evening. Sometimes it puts out white flowers. When it doesn't open in the morning that's it's way of telling me it needs water. If that doesn't work, it needs a bigger container or fresh dirt to eat the nutrients off of.

Mine is big now. I'm thinking of separating it into smaller plants and giving them away to my ex boss, current friend and some other loved ones next time I transplant it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM
That sounds like my mom, she has such a green thumb.

Quoting LindaClement:

Yes, lots. 6 or 7 pots of Aloe Vera, a couple of unidentified palms, a Christmas cactus or 2... a pot with some random plants I don't know the name of at all...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Aloe is supposed to be practically unkillable, but after being knocked over by the cats repeatedly mine died o.O My snake plant, on the other hand, is doing incredibly well. Those things LIKE to be neglected.
LindaClement
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I definitely don't have a green thumb... I throw out the ones that can't survive the sporatic care the plants here get to suffer with :D

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting LindaClement:

celestegood
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol you sound like me! I do that. And I just cant keep plants alive indoors.

Quoting LindaClement:

I definitely don't have a green thumb... I throw out the ones that can't survive the sporatic care the plants here get to suffer with :D

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting LindaClement:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChloesMum
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Plants fear me....I've killed everyone plant I've ever had.....even the supposedly unkillable ones.

Bleacheddecay
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM

It's a really good plant. I've been surprised that even I could keep it alive.

My mom gave me a cactus years ago. I don't like them. Never have. I'm not sure why she did that or what she was trying to say but I kept it alive a long time. Then one day I said to myself, WHY am I keeping this plant that feels like an insult and which I didn't pick and don't like? So I threw it away.

Quoting celestegood:

That's neat. I might try that.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN