Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Where / how did you learn to cook?

Posted by   + Show Post

Did you mother or MIL cook? Your Gma?  Do you use their recipes? Follow recipes? Do you watch shows? Take a class? Wing it?

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Replies (31-39):
thebride
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM

My mother is a chef which means she never cooked for us. She cooked at work that was it! We had to learn to cook ourselves growing up. Which made for some bad food choices later on. Today I play an active role in teaching my children to prepare meals every day, they make much healthier choices because of it. 

Allyniki
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I learned a little growing up from my Aunt (my parents didn't do much cooking), but most of it was self taught as an adult. I find cooking creative and like to experiment with different recipes. 

This is my beautiful son Peyton. He is a healthy boy. I am raising money for those parents that are not so lucky, those who are told their child has CANCER. If you would like to join the fight, sign up for Team in Training for an experience of a lifetime at www.teamintraining.org 

adorkablemommie
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I learned from my Grandmother, but she was not a very healthy cook so i've since learned to make healthy versions of her recipes. 

momkelly2
by New Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I learned techniques from my mom and a few recepies.  Bu the time i was of an age to learn one Grandmother had passed and the other one didn't cook much and my mom was cooking less because she worked full time.  

once I got married I found out it didn't really matter cause I had to fix what he liked and he liked things I had never made or eaten before.    so my husband taught me to cook if you listen to him.    but ..   since he showed me his basics I have expanded and tried new things and am a better cook  in the last 10 years. 

Most often I look up something on the internet and read over a few recepies and then I wing it.   lol   

so far some of my best dishes were things I just tried something new and well this sounds good and that.   I rarely follow a recepie  as it is written, I always have to make a change somewhere along the line.

LOL   

Catherine 
There is no MD after my name..  
 I am just a mom with years of experience raising ADHD kids.... LOL

theresaphilly
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I purchased cookbooks and just started, before I knew it, I was loving it and great meals developed. I also get recipes from YouTube and cooking shows.

Saphira1207
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM

My father was a 50 year veteran chef of restaurants before his retirement.  I was taught how to hold a knife properly at what seemed like the same time I was learning to walk!  lol  I know it probably wasn't but it sure felt like it.  My mother cooked for us, but due to being very poor and a large family we ate a lot of soups and other things that can be made in large batches.  So we all knew how to cook those kinds of things by the time we were in high school.

We learned how to cook other things from our dad because we could hang out in the restaurant kitchens any time we liked so he taught us how to cook there as well.  And the lessons at home were mandatory.  There was no opting out allowed.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Did you mother or MIL cook? Your Gma?  Do you use their recipes? Follow recipes? Do you watch shows? Take a class? Wing it?

Jeni_lea
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 5:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Mom taught me basic, but mostly on my own. Now she loves it when I have leftovers since I give them to her.
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:47 PM

My kids had their own knives (very sharp!) by the time they were 3...

Quoting Saphira1207:

My father was a 50 year veteran chef of restaurants before his retirement.  I was taught how to hold a knife properly at what seemed like the same time I was learning to walk!  lol  I know it probably wasn't but it sure felt like it.  My mother cooked for us, but due to being very poor and a large family we ate a lot of soups and other things that can be made in large batches.  So we all knew how to cook those kinds of things by the time we were in high school.

We learned how to cook other things from our dad because we could hang out in the restaurant kitchens any time we liked so he taught us how to cook there as well.  And the lessons at home were mandatory.  There was no opting out allowed.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

aztecqueen22
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:57 AM
I take recipes from magazines. I watched food network. I have cookbooks. I did get a few recipes from my mom.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)