Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

What do you consider healthy?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM
  • 8 Replies

What do you all consider healthy eating??? There are so many different variations! And then when I go to find recipes there are so many different variations to that as well.

As for me, I don't want to eat anything that is processed, which is very difficult since half the recipes I find my kids will not touch, and honestly they look and sound disgusting!!!

And now I find myself eating the same things day after day. I don't want to get bored with my eating. 

Also I live in a small town, so the selection of things that I want to try is very limited as well. I wish I lived in the country so I could have my own garden and raise some of my own animals.

Anyone have any suggestions???

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Harris06
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM

For me healthy is just balanced, mostly. Ideal would be 100% fresh/raw in every way every time but that isn't always an option for us so it is balanced and portion controlled. 

Proud Navy wife, a mother to 3 toddler girlpregnant belly with #4; boy or girl?? We shall see.

Do you have a child who was born in September 2011? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

December 2013 Babies group mod

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by New Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I personally don't mind some processed foods.  All things in moderation.

So I may have a turkey dog, bought from the local meat market so I know what is in it, with the kiddos.  But instead of chips and store bought potato salad I'll have fresh veggies and fruit with a lean cheese as side dishes.

I might make an amazing grilled chicken salad for lunch, but I won't beat myself up if I top it with some Fritos for crunch.

Other than that, I explore seasonal foods.  It's hard to get bored when the seasonal veggies are always changing.  When squash was in season, we had lots of squash soup, pasta with squash, salads with squash, stuffed squash, broiled squash....And right when I was starting to get bored with it dark leafy greens like chard were coming in with tomatos, potatoes, onions, and other root veggies.  It's a fun, constant little hop from one season to the next.

Some things I have found to help with my children:

Let them help pick out and prepare food
Keep it simple

It seems like the more complicated a dish the less excited they'll be to try the new items in it.  It also helps to add new items to an old favorite, like when I added some sliced squash to a chunky spaghetti marinara.  Then we made it a game: It is a slice of carrot, or a slice of squash?   

Bleacheddecay
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Balanced meals over a week long period. I don't think every meal has to be balanced just your overall diet.

As unprocessed as I can stand, making my own meals.

Drink as much water as I can stand too.

lizzig
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM

for me healthy is balanced nutrition, as unprocessed as i can make it (somethings i just can't make on my own & thusly have to buy, which means some processing), limiting artificial ingredients, including sweeteners (i'd rather the kids have real sugar than sucrolose or such), adding as many fresh ingredients into dishes that i can.  low sodium

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

A video grocery haul of what i consider HEALTHY LIVING.  

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM

For me, healthy = balance. 

Ideally, that includes no processed foods but it's unavoidable with our lifestyle and I don't myself up over it.  I concentrate on the overall diet and allow for room for processed foods and treats. 

To keep from being bored, I try to cook seasonally.  So, I use the fruits and veggies that are in season - it's more cost effective and healthier.  I like to experiment with food.  It's a good way to change up what you are eating and a good way to explore new foods and flavors. 

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Variety is my key.

Well, variety and real food.

Not just variety in kinds of food (although that's a big part of it: you do know that within the US there is a thriving mail order food business, right?) but also preparation...

I bake bread. Sometimes it's oatmeal bread, sometimes potato, sometimes 17 grain.

I make curry. Sometimes hot, sometimes mild, sometimes vegetarian, sometimes goat.

I love French, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Greek, Italian, Morroccan, South American, Mexican ... and a bunch of other cuisines.

I follow a bunch of food blogs because they're more interesting and more informative than recipe sites like Epicurious (which has a lot of awesome foods) and AllRecipes (which has a LOT of processed foods)...

I also collect and read cookbooks --all kinds, from ethnic to ancient, 15 minute dinners to the Larousse Gastronomique...

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:44 AM

I agree here.

Quoting lizzig:

for me healthy is balanced nutrition, as unprocessed as i can make it (somethings i just can't make on my own & thusly have to buy, which means some processing), limiting artificial ingredients, including sweeteners (i'd rather the kids have real sugar than sucrolose or such), adding as many fresh ingredients into dishes that i can.  low sodium

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)