Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

be honest!

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM
  • 16 Replies

how much do you model healthy behavior for your children?

exercise?  diet?  dr check-ups?

i'll admit that when it comes to some things i'm not a very good role model.  i don't exercise as in lifting weights, work out dvds, etc.  i do plenty of walking, lifting, bending, stretching at work though.  but my lack of exercise outside of work is due to a bad knee that was never fixed properly & over the years has gotten worse. (dislocated it about 25yrs ago, needed sx to repair it properly but my father didn't want to pay for it)  the kids & i do take long walks on the weekends when the weather is nice though.

i do my regular dr check-ups yearly but not dental.  while i love the kids dentist, my husband & i have had a hard time finding ones for us that aren't crooks (like wanting to do hundreds of dollars in unnecessary work before doing a basic cleaning).  so i haven't been to a dentist in awhile.  well that's not true, i've had lots of exams just not a cleaning.

i am good about modeling a healthy diet for my children.  i'm a vegetarian (they are not) & thusly eat plenty of fresh fruits & veggies.  get a variety of whole grains, legumes, etc. for my protien requirements.  i don't purchase too many processed foods at the store, give them healthy snacks for school.  i do partake in sweets & some "junkfood" but in moderation & as an addition to my diet on occasion, not everyday.

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM

My diet is very good.

I rarely exercise lately because I'm often dizzy and have a fever.

I hate going to the doctor and rarely do. I see the ENT and Dentist at least twice a year.

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:54 PM
I eat gluten free and mostly organic meats and produce. I cook most of our food, we run as a family etc where I am weak is my sweet tooth!!!
Harris06
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I think I am a pretty good role model for my girls. I don't work out as much as I probably should but they know exercise it good, they eat healthy, they know what healthy is, they know that the doctor helps keep you well so well. Yeah, I think I am doing a pretty good job. :)

Proud Navy wife, a mother to 3 toddler girlpregnant belly with #4; boy or girl?? We shall see.

Do you have a child who was born in September 2011? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

December 2013 Babies group mod

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Food, exercise,living, EVERYTHING . . .we don't even kill bugs in our home

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Our diet is very good.  I do all the cooking and food shopping in the house, so it's easy to control what we eat.  DD eats what we eat.

DD also sees both me and DH exercise.  DH goes to the gym and I workout at home.  DD joins me during the home workouts and at least once a week, we go out to the running trails as a family and do that together. 

The doctor is something that we would have to work on.  DD knows the importance of going regularly for check-ups, but me and DH aren't as on top of it as we should be.

lizzig
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM

that's way better than us!  my son & i are allergic to all bug/insect bites/stings so mosquitos & such get squished on contact.

Quoting Alyson121:

Food, exercise,living, EVERYTHING . . .we don't even kill bugs in our home

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Fair to middlin'...

I cook healthy foods, and model exploring new flavours and kinds of food. I'm reasonably active. I don't use drugs, drink in moderation and don't smoke at all.

I don't think 'regular' doctor checkups are necessary for anyone but doctor's mortgage payments.

Karine561
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I cook healthy and we always have lots of fruits available.
I exercise regularly and sometime the kids do it with me. I do cardio dance I have bad knees too and cannot do lounges and heavy weight.
Everybody go to dentist every 6 month. Doctor only if they are very sick....I never go to doctor. I haven't see a gynocologist since my son's birth :( I'm not a good example for that!
I don't like to drink. I don't smoke or curse. And I like to look good even when I go pick them up at school. I would never go in a sweat pants and tee shirt. Having kids give me no excuse
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:49 AM

Well, I think I'm fairly healthy...I run 25-35 miles/week, I eat fairly healthy but can work on that though:)  

lizzig
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:05 AM

25-35mies a week?  wow!  that's allot!  wish i had the time to walk that much! (can't run, bad knee)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Well, I think I'm fairly healthy...I run 25-35 miles/week, I eat fairly healthy but can work on that though:)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)