Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

how much do you model healthy behavior for your children?

exercise?  diet?  dr check-ups?

i'll admit that when it comes to some things i'm not a very good role model.  i don't exercise as in lifting weights, work out dvds, etc.  i do plenty of walking, lifting, bending, stretching at work though.  but my lack of exercise outside of work is due to a bad knee that was never fixed properly & over the years has gotten worse. (dislocated it about 25yrs ago, needed sx to repair it properly but my father didn't want to pay for it)  the kids & i do take long walks on the weekends when the weather is nice though.

i do my regular dr check-ups yearly but not dental.  while i love the kids dentist, my husband & i have had a hard time finding ones for us that aren't crooks (like wanting to do hundreds of dollars in unnecessary work before doing a basic cleaning).  so i haven't been to a dentist in awhile.  well that's not true, i've had lots of exams just not a cleaning.

i am good about modeling a healthy diet for my children.  i'm a vegetarian (they are not) & thusly eat plenty of fresh fruits & veggies.  get a variety of whole grains, legumes, etc. for my protien requirements.  i don't purchase too many processed foods at the store, give them healthy snacks for school.  i do partake in sweets & some "junkfood" but in moderation & as an addition to my diet on occasion, not everyday.

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Replies (11-16):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Yes, I LOVE running...it's my go to activity for a stress reliever:)  I've run 52 miles so far this month.

Quoting lizzig:

25-35mies a week?  wow!  that's allot!  wish i had the time to walk that much! (can't run, bad knee)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Well, I think I'm fairly healthy...I run 25-35 miles/week, I eat fairly healthy but can work on that though:)  

morgan483
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I model it pretty much all the time. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week...they know that mommy is going to "exercise". We eat healthy meals and I stress the importance of them eating their veggies on their plates. Our fridge is full of healthy choices and snacks. I pack healthy lunches for my son that is in grade school. Don't get me wrong, we have our fast food every once in a while when in a pinch, but not often, and I do choose the healthier options on the menu when we do so. 

clairewait
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Of the list you suggested, I'm pretty good.

What I could work on, however, is role-modeling positivity, compassion, and patience, especially with people whose behavior bugs me (bad drivers, inconsiderate neighbors, rude grocery store people...)

I have some serious veggie-eating, dentist loving, water-consuming, sarcastic and critical little mini-me's. 

SMH.  :)

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

theresaphilly
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I keep up with all doctor visits, eat healthy sometimes and exercise 3-4 days a week. 

Stacie03
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I think we do a fair job.  We eat mostly healthy foods holidays/birthdays/and special occassions being the exception when we eat junk.   DF and I don't regularly exercise but I work hard in the yard and garden, in the nicer weather I take the kids on walks daily.  The kids attend their well visits and DF goes when he needs to.  I however am not a fan of DR's and will only go if it is something I can't treat myself or feel something is seriously wrong ( I do go to all my prenatal visits).  The dentist is something that we could improve on. 

tardiskitty
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM
I'm pretty health conscious. I exercise and sometimes my DD does it with me. I really only keep healthy foods in her reach fruits, veggies, yogurt, etc. The only time she has sugary snacks is she can pick her own dessert if she was well behaved that day. She usually still chooses fruit or a smoothie most of the time though. We keep ice cream, chocolates and stuff like that in the house but they last us forever since we only have them occasionally. I try to encourage fitness more than anything. I never say to her that I feel fat, or that I've gained weight, it's always "I need to exercise more, I'm not feeling as fit as I usually do." My mom was completely obsessed with her weight, even when she was a size 2 and that messed with me badly when I was a teenager, I don't ever want my DD to freak out about her weight, but I do want her to know the importance of fitness and keeping your body healthy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)