Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Do You Use?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 17 Replies

My husband uses Equal but I've read that it's not good for you. What is a healthier option?

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzig
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM

for sweeteners in our home we use sugar, honey, agave.  nothing artificial for us.

shaunaleigh418
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:52 AM
I told him to just use regular sugar but he drinks a lot of coffee. He uses 5-6 packs of the Equal in each cup so I don't know how many teaspoons of sugar that equals. He has at least 3 cups of coffee a day.

Quoting lizzig:

for sweeteners in our home we use sugar, honey, agave.  nothing artificial for us.

lizzig
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM

equal isn't as sweet as sugar so he wouldn't need to use as much of it.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

I told him to just use regular sugar but he drinks a lot of coffee. He uses 5-6 packs of the Equal in each cup so I don't know how many teaspoons of sugar that equals. He has at least 3 cups of coffee a day.

Quoting lizzig:

shaunaleigh418
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Oh okay. Quick question. What is Truvia? I seen it next to the Equal at Costco. Is it something to stay away from as well?

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting lizzig:

lizzig
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM

i've never tried it.  while it is plant based, it is so in a limited sense..  it has an ingedient in it, rebiana, which is derived from the stevia plant part of the sunflower family.  if you want him to go that route i would try out real stevia rather than products like truvia that have a molecule of it in each packet. 

another negative against all these sweeteners is the fact that they contain no calories.  our bodies can't figure out how to metabolize them, thus the "no calories" so they tend to interfere with our metabolisms causing weight gain.  explans why when my mother stopped drinking diet pops with artifical sweeteners & changed nothing else about her life she lost 8lbs i one month.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Oh okay. Quick question. What is Truvia? I seen it next to the Equal at Costco. Is it something to stay away from as well?

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting lizzig:

shaunaleigh418
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Wow... I didn't know that it could actually cause you to gain weight. Kind of defeats the purpose lol. Thanks for your help!

Quoting lizzig:

i've never tried it.  while it is plant based, it is so in a limited sense..  it has an ingedient in it, rebiana, which is derived from the stevia plant part of the sunflower family.  if you want him to go that route i would try out real stevia rather than products like truvia that have a molecule of it in each packet. 

another negative against all these sweeteners is the fact that they contain no calories.  our bodies can't figure out how to metabolize them, thus the "no calories" so they tend to interfere with our metabolisms causing weight gain.  explans why when my mother stopped drinking diet pops with artifical sweeteners & changed nothing else about her life she lost 8lbs i one month.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting lizzig:

lizzig
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM

lol!  your welcome!

many don't know.  they see the word diet or "0" calories & assume it's the best option for them.  i did too till i got interested in nutrition & started looking into going to school for it & reading up on things. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Wow... I didn't know that it could actually cause you to gain weight. Kind of defeats the purpose lol. Thanks for your help!

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting lizzig:

printerr
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I use actual stevia (not Truvia).  It's extremely concentrated so a little goes a long way.  Obviously this wouldn't work for baking when you need to as a certain amount of sugar for the consistency, but for coffee and such, it's a great alternative. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I drink coffee in the morning and I put Splenda in it...it's the only time I have it so I'm not worried about it to be honest.

liquidvelvet
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM
I use Splenda.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)