Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Siatica pain help!

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 8 Replies
My sciatic nerve is acting up and I am out of anything like ice hot or any topical like that and the naproxen has decided to stop working. I also have to wait on a heating pad till hnap time cause my boys will not let me stay in one place (which is why I think it's just getting worse). Does anyone have any other home remedies that might work? I am almost to the point of trying to find a leftover codeine that I keep around or something. There has to be something else cause I can barly put weight on my right leg right now without it feeling like someone is stabbing me.
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LindaClement
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

The most effective treatment I know of is physiotherapy: you need to stretch it and some of the surrounding tissues, as well as strengthening some of the muslces that should be supporting your leg.

You might be able to find more information online...

calimom1123
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM
4 moms liked this
Lay on your back and try some pelvic tilts. If you have a tennis ball put it under your bum area and roll around till you find a tender spot. Hold it in place until it stops hurting. Another stretch is lay on your back cross your legs and bring them up to your chest. Hold it at least 20 seconds then put the bottom leg over top and do it again. I also have a little device I lay on when im in pain called a sacro wedgy which helps a ton. I got it on amazon hth!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saphira1207
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Stretching and alternating between ice packs and heat are the only things my doctors have ever told me to do.  I've seen regular MDs and Chiropractors for it.  If your kids are old enough they should be able to entertain themselves for 20 minutes while you take care of yourself.  Even if they watch a show it should give you enough time.

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Side leg lifts leading with your heel (while standing up against a wall) can help some people.  There are also a few yoga poses that might help you, google yoga and sciatica.  You may need a chiropratic adjustment, look for one who is certified in the Webster Technique (used for pregnant women and turning breech babies as well as correcting issues with the pelvis), they would be more versed in helping women who have had babies and have pain from the pelvis being misaligned.

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Just out of curiosity... do you sit with your legs crossed?  Our chiropractor said that's just about the WORST thing you can do.  I've had had hip pain in the past that went away when I made a conscious effort to NOT sit with my legs crossed  (better to cross at the ankles than at the knees)

Aug-mom
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM

i was rehab aide for 5 yrs, yes tennis ball great idea, and do not cross legs when sitting. ur alignment is out of wack, do some stretching and bridges to help.

suetoo
by Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Prescription Flector patch helps my hip pain a lot. It's an NSAID, not narcotic.

ps. Forgive me, but keeping left over prescription meds of any kind around is dangerous.

mamavalor
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM
My sciatica acts up when I don't drink enough water. Strangely a few hours after hydrating myself with lots of water (>32 oz), it goes away. Maybe this simple solution will work for you, too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN