Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Dollar stores and healthy shopping.

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM
  • 8 Replies

My family is on a tight budget with the arrival of our new daughter. 

I'm curious who shops at "dollar stores" and "discount stores" (like big lots) and if you can still shop at the them, save money, and still be healthy. 

I was just reading this article about living off the dollar store 

This person basically spent $50 a week at the dollar store, sure she survived but at what expense to her health? Is it possible to spend next to nothing a week on food and still be healthy? 

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bleacheddecay
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't shop at dollar stores very much. I'd be leery of how old and therefore how safe the food items might be there. I'm pretty sure I got food poisoning from something my mom bought there once. It was the only thing that I ate and no one else did and I was the only one who got sick.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Well Dollar stores don't have fresh produce, so I don't go there.  I like to only go to one or maybe 2 stores...I don't go around town to several stores to get the best deals.  Just not my thing and I don't have enough time for that.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Let me clarify...Dollar General, Dollar Tree, and stores like that are what I'm referring to.  We do have Big Lots, but they don't have any fresh produce either.

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's much harder since produce isn't at those stores.  Have you looked into lentils, quinoa, wild rice and beans (not canned but dry) as money saving meals?

adorkablemommie
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Not something I've thought about, that's a very good point! There are times when I've been to Dollar Tree and wondered or seen something I knew should be refrigerated and wasn't. 

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I don't shop at dollar stores very much. I'd be leery of how old and therefore how safe the food items might be there. I'm pretty sure I got food poisoning from something my mom bought there once. It was the only thing that I ate and no one else did and I was the only one who got sick.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM

It is possible however it's not something i'd recommend long term.  Some discount stores have fresh produce and some don't just depends on the area.  I did a video for people who shop at outlet grocery stores, walmart, target, etc for groceries.  My groceries were more than $50 though.

If someone has a farm in there area it's actually cheaper and alot healthier to just shop there.  My local far (about 5 minutes from my home) has TONS of fresh produce and they also sell things from other local farms like eggs, yogurt, honey.  They sell dry goods like rice, beans and spices.  So if you can cook that's a great option.  I think the dollar and other stores make it more tempting to buy packaged and processed food. 

michellefrogs
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't understand why some people will spend a ton of money on their phone, clothes, make up, etc., but not willing to spend money on the one thing that keeps them alive! In my family, grocery bill first, everything else second!

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Of course it's possible. You just need to know what to look for in packaged foods.

There is a lot more than 'surviving' available at those stores. The thing is, it's the produce that would normally be processed because it's imperfect: not quite ripe, over-ripe, mis-shapen (all the stuff the princesses of the world won't pay money for at the grocery store.)

If you were growing your own food, you'd get to eat (and can) a lot of the same stuff, for the same reasons: it's wasteful to throw out perfectly edible food, and it's perfectly edible even if it's not the absolute pristine perfection of ultimate nutrition.

Don't fret as much about the sodium content (the research backing 'low sodium living' is actually really sparse) as much as the crap content. No one needs to eat potassium metabisufide, and you should try to avoid hydrogenated oils of all kinds, as well as nitrates and nitrites... 

But otherwise: stick to single-ingredient (or as close as possible) products, like canned peas rather than Spam. Frankly, Spam isn't as bad as some of the gluten-free, non-gmo, organic junk food people eat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)