Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy natural way to increase milk production

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:31 AM
  • 14 Replies

I'm not new to breastfeding. I have 2 boy I breastfed them both I also breastfed my cousin's baby for 3 weeks. I thought I was a pro. Turns out I wasn't ready for his. I had a preemie 2 weeks ago and she doesn't want to eat much of anything. She latches on but doesn't get enpugh. I'm not producing everything I should be because of health, stress, and blood pressure medicationa. 

What are some was to increase breast milk? I pump, stimulate, and nurse my baby girl abut every 3 hours. 

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

The best thing you can do is let her latch on as often as possible --it is the single most effective means of increasing supply.

She can't get 'enough' because her stomach is not only tiny (holds less than 2 tbsp) but also rigid. Pouring too much in does serious damage.

It helps a lot if you keep her one your body, skin to skin, most of the time. 

adorkablemommie
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Great advice for normal circumstances! but like I said i'm an experienced breastfeeding mother I've done many of those things. I'm literally not producing enough milk. We spend time skin to skin, i've tried everything yet i'm only producing 20ml from each breast(sometimes up to 30 ml from my left) per pumping it wasn't until Tuesday that she was old enough (she is a preemie) to naturally  latch on to me. her mouth is still small so I have her with a firm latchusing a  nipple sheild. All of her feedings have been through a n-tube so far. 

I think I might try supplements any advice on that? 

Quoting LindaClement:

The best thing you can do is let her latch on as often as possible --it is the single most effective means of increasing supply.

She can't get 'enough' because her stomach is not only tiny (holds less than 2 tbsp) but also rigid. Pouring too much in does serious damage.

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this

What you can pump is not necessarily related to what you're actually making --for a lot of reasons, there are often extreme differences between what you can extract and what the baby can.

One of the reasons latching makes the difference is the pressure on the nerves of your aerola. You had not mentioned the nipple shield, which actively impairs your sensation, and therefore your body's reaction to what's happening.

Have you found the Marmet Technique? It's the closest thing to mimicking suckling and often has the same results...

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/130/how-to-manually-express-breastmilk---the-marmet-technique

Quoting adorkablemommie:

Great advice for normal circumstances! but like I said i'm an experienced breastfeeding mother I've done many of those things. I'm literally not producing enough milk. We spend time skin to skin, i've tried everything yet i'm only producing 20ml from each breast(sometimes up to 30 ml from my left) per pumping it wasn't until Tuesday that she was old enough (she is a preemie) to naturally  latch on to me. her mouth is still small so I have her with a firm latchusing a  nipple sheild. All of her feedings have been through a n-tube so far. 

Quoting LindaClement:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Linda has some great advice...good luck!

alysson99
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I always had supply issues (I also relacted after stopping breastfeeding for a month, so my milk supply was messed up from the beginning), and I worked hard at keeping my milk supply strong. The best thing to increase your milk supply is to nurse more often, after a few days your supply should be better. Try every two hours, or nurse on demand (don't supplement, just pop her back on again when she seems hungry). Oatmeal is supposed to help, so I would eat that, and I took fenugreek and blessed thistle. I don't think the fenugreek worked for me, but the blessed thistle did. Here are some more things to help, http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/herbs/herbal_galactagogue/. Get rid of the nipple shield as soon as you can too, that can mess up the milk flow, and she can become too dependent on it.

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Is she gaining weight?

I know you can increase milk supply with oatmeal, fenugreek, and mother's milk tea

have you checked for tongue or lip tie?

i know she's a preemie, so it may just take her some time!

adorkablemommie
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my gosh! I didn't know that about the nipple shield! thank you! i'm going to try this out! 

Quoting LindaClement:

What you can pump is not necessarily related to what you're actually making --for a lot of reasons, there are often extreme differences between what you can extract and what the baby can.

One of the reasons latching makes the difference is the pressure on the nerves of your aerola. You had not mentioned the nipple shield, which actively impairs your sensation, and therefore your body's reaction to what's happening.

Have you found the Marmet Technique? It's the closest thing to mimicking suckling and often has the same results...

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/130/how-to-manually-express-breastmilk---the-marmet-technique

Quoting adorkablemommie:

Quoting LindaClement:

adorkablemommie
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm going to try mother's milk tea! thanks!  One of the big issues is she won't bring her tongue down to suckle. I got her to successfully latch on without the nipple shield but only to my left breast. It's only been day two since I could do that! So perhaps my milk supply will increase on that side? maybe/hopefully! 

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

Is she gaining weight?

I know you can increase milk supply with oatmeal, fenugreek, and mother's milk tea

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Lots of babies (humans of all ages, actually) are asymmetrical: one tendon in their neck is longer than the other, so turning one way is easier and they're more flexible and comfortable that way.

Sometimes it works better to slide the baby around, holding her position and moving mom :D ... rather than flipping her over for the other side, if you see what I mean.

Quoting adorkablemommie:

I'm going to try mother's milk tea! thanks!  One of the big issues is she won't bring her tongue down to suckle. I got her to successfully latch on without the nipple shield but only to my left breast. It's only been day two since I could do that! So perhaps my milk supply will increase on that side? maybe/hopefully! 

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

Is she gaining weight?

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM

You may (if possible) try nursing laying down.  I remembered this article from when I was struggling during the first few weeks of nursing.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6612573.stm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)