Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Gluten free??

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was wanting to try going gluten free but dh thinks I'm weird for wanting to do that since I have no allergies. I just want to see how it makes me feel since I always feel drained. 

Anyone else eat gluten free??

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LindaClement
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I can't be bothered jumping onto every passing fad --it's too tiring.

The primary reason early-adopters had more energy was the lack of crap choices on the shelves. Now, what 3 or 5 years in, marketers have managed to 'hear' the demand, and 3/4 of what is available is the nutritional equivalent of cheetos --in some cases, replace very healthy, nutritious food with garbage (think 'potato starch and extra sugar' frankenfoods) ... you'll either find yourself going broke, having the same kind of 'too bored at the limited choices to eat any more' that caused early Atkins adherents to lose weight so easily, or actually feeling worse and gain weight for the lack of fibre, nutrients and satisfying eating experience...

LindaClement
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

If you seriously think your energy levels are being affected by your diet, it makes more sense to look at the obvious culprits first:

~ iron aborption

~ sugar/low fibre intake

~ low vitamin B intake (good source: whole grains :D)

~ poor quality food much of the time (not enough vitamins and minerals in general --no supplement can fix this)

~ overeating in general --too many calories to process

Other problems, which you'll know best whether they apply to your or not, include:

~ sleep problems

~ lack of natural light (more than an hour a day, for most people, actually outside or very close to a large window)

~ insufficient oxygen to cells, aka: exercise enough to sweat 30-60 minutes every day

Saphira1207
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Have your doctor do a blood workup before changing your diet.  As Linda said you could be deficient in some important nutrients.  Of course you could have thyroid disease or pre-diabetes, too.  Both of which will make you feel drained on a regular basis.  Those show up on lab work as well.

I have both thyroid disease and a tendancy towards anemia, so I can feel fatigued on a regular basis if I'm not careful about taking my medicine and eating iron rich foods regularly and consistantly.  I actually plan my menus each week with those things in mind and it's helped a lot.

N_maricle
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

My boys are and I'm starting to realize that I am too. When I eat wheat I have diareaha. Like every day. Right now I'm doing a cleanse, so no gluten, meat, dairy, sugar, processed foods for the next week. I'm hoping when I finish the cleanse I'll have the will power to keep away from gluten.

Goddesswillow
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I'm gluten free, you never know if you have allergies or sensitivities to something unless you experiment or get tested. I never knew I had a problem with wheat until I gave it up, I wanted to figure out what was making me so bloated all the time, gave up the wheat stopped bloating, no more constipation, my forehead stopped breaking out, my anger went down drastically, i stopped having breathing problems. And all i was doing was experimenting to see what was making me bloat, I didn't think it was the wheat and I had no idea everything else would get better. My husband has no noticeable symptoms, during the beginning of my pregnancy he went just about the whole month without wheat, when he started eating it again he started to feel horrible

Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I do grain free and gluten free products because i actually like some of them and like you i don't have any allergies.  I make and buy things like almond meal, coconut flour, etc.  I also use things like rice flour, graham flour etc because some of my recipes call for those things.  Since i also use sprouted wheat and other anciet grains i don't notice any difference in how i feel.  

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I haven't done it, but a friend of mine did.  She has no allergies, but decided to go gluten-free.  She spoke to her doctor about it first before emarking on a gluten-free diet.  She has been gluten-free for almost a year now and she's lost about 20 pounds and her skin looks fabulous (her psoriasis has almost entirely cleared up) and she has more energy than before.

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I have celiac so yes, I'm gluten free. It really can make you feel sluggish and affect your gut in negative ways!  Certainly worth trying and seeing what happens. To me, no different than giving up sugar or coffee for a bit if you've been over doing it.

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

BTW, Celiac Disease is not an allergy, it's an autoimmune disorder.  Many people think it's an allergy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN