Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Fast Food

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

It's been over two weeks since I have any fast food and about a week or so since I've had any candy.  I'm trying to go as organic and GMO free as possible.  I'm not doing too bad so far.  Although I know I'm not all organic and I'm sure that I'm still ingesting GMO's.

Anyone else organic or GMO free?  If so could you share some of your tips for saving on groceries, etc.?

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I do almost all organic meat n milk i shop at whole foods mostly for meat and produce! Look to see if you have a local produce delivery service
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Great job!

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I can't be bothered being GMO free: we don't eat enough of any single ingredient for it to matter.

Of course, I also actually read the research rather than believing the propaganda about it...

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM

3/4 of what is labelled as 'gmo-free' is gmo-free because it includes NO ingredients that have ever been genetically-modified.

karisma22
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I really don't believe anything that comes from Monsanto or anyone associated with them.  GMO's are in a lot more things than many people realize.  Maybe they're not as harmful as many claim, but I'm not willing to take that chance.  Monsanto has not proven that they are safe.  While, I may not be able to cut them out completely, I will try to reduce them as much as possible in my food.

Quoting LindaClement:

I can't be bothered being GMO free: we don't eat enough of any single ingredient for it to matter.

Of course, I also actually read the research rather than believing the propaganda about it...

clairewait
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I also haven't really fallen into the most recent hype about going GMO free.

First, it is dang- near impossible, unles you are willing to grow everything yourself or buy completely local. Many do this. And it is a great thing. But it is a little unrealistic for me.

My thing is this: the so-called new info coming out about how unhealthy grocery store food is just isn't actually all that new. I might be genetically lucky, but as a kid, I grew up on pretty average UNHEALTHY food. Hamburger helper, canned fruits and veggies, hormone-full milk and eggs, fast food with some regularity in high school with sports, and white bread.

I would currently consider myself above-average on the "healthy" scale. I like to think I feed my own children better than I was fed, but I'm just not extreme about it.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

karisma22
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I grew up eating hamburger helper, white bread, conventional whole milk, ect, as well.  However, at the time I don't think that there was near the crap (hormones, anitbiotics, high fructose corn syrup, etc) in our food like there is now.  I'm pretty sure that there were no GMO's at that time.  

I do agree that right now it is pretty much impossible (or at least very difficult) to go completely GMO free.  One reason why I believe that we need GMO labeling.

Quoting clairewait:

I also haven't really fallen into the most recent hype about going GMO free.

First, it is dang- near impossible, unles you are willing to grow everything yourself or buy completely local. Many do this. And it is a great thing. But it is a little unrealistic for me.

My thing is this: the so-called new info coming out about how unhealthy grocery store food is just isn't actually all that new. I might be genetically lucky, but as a kid, I grew up on pretty average UNHEALTHY food. Hamburger helper, canned fruits and veggies, hormone-full milk and eggs, fast food with some regularity in high school with sports, and white bread.

I would currently consider myself above-average on the "healthy" scale. I like to think I feed my own children better than I was fed, but I'm just not extreme about it.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

The one thing we DON'T save money on is food.  We buy lmostly local, shop at natural locally owned markets, farms, farmer markets, stands, etc.  And even though i cook alot of my food from scratch, we still tend to spend about $1800 a month on food.  We're a family of 8 so maybe that makes a difference.  

I'd say investing in a few cookbooks and stocking up on some of your favorite "from scratch" recipes will save you money.  Buying things with no packaging saves money.  Buying in bulk, making your own breads, sauces, soups, condiments, broths, jams, nut milks, nut butters, etc.  Basically the more things you cook and prepare fresh, the more money you save.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 26, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Nice job!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)