Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daughter won't be able to breast feed.

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 12 Replies
My daughter is going to have a baby. My daughter has Rheumatoid Arthritis. During the pregnancy she cannot take her medicine. Nothing. She is in a lot of pain, her joints are swollen and even get locked up and we have to massage them to get them loose while she cries out in pain. I know in my heart that because of this she is going to need to be on her very strong meds asap and is going t have to opt out of breast feeding like she wants too. I have a question. Would you put your baby on formula or make your own formula? I've seen the recipe for it on Homemade Mommy website.

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I just tried to look up recipes to make formula, one was with raw milk which can be very dangerous and is not usually able to be legally sold for human consumption.

The other was from meat juices.

I saw numerous, IMO, erroneous reports on the sites that had these formula recipes that everything else is too dangerous. I find that very misleading.

Did you find any other recipes that did not use cows milk, raw milk or meat juices?

I would buy formula.

preacherskid
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this

What medications (not all doctors check the meds before scaring mothers into not using them), and is she open to donor milk?  Eats on Feets and Human Milk for Human Babies both have Facebook pages for every state, and many donors (myself included, though I no longer pump) are more than willing to provide blood tests and basic nutritional/dietary info, and are glad to give their excess to a momma in need :)

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the information she's getting about the drugs is inaccurate. Ask the pharmacist to look up Thomas Hale's Medications in Mother's Milk for current, accurate information about what she CAN take.

Very, very few drugs are actually contraindicated in breastfeeding and all of them have effective alternatives that are not.

Rota
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM

There are quite a few natural herbs and supplements that relieve pain and inflammation form RA. Is she eating a diet to eliminate inflammation causing foods? If you are interested in natural remedies, let me know or you can go to a naturopathic doctor and they can prescribe the same things. They work and they are safe.

suetoo
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

All drugs sold in the US are classified and labeled and listed in drug books, including the PDR. Their safety during pregnancy and breast feeding, and the research to back up the recommendation if they are safe or not recommended is published data. There are safe ones out there that her rheumatologist can prescribe for her if she is committed to BF. Any pharmacist can tell you, too. Any type of homemade formula is dangerous to the babe and inadequate nutritionally. IMHO. Ask the pediatrician, not us. Please. I have lupus fibro and degenerative arthritis. I know pain and my DDs were exclusively BF. Your daughter will be in pain the rest of her life. The baby needs her breast milk for 6 months. Nutrition in an infants first year sets the foundation for that child's maximum brain, immune system and neurological growth and development, for the babes lifetime. Don't steer your daughter wrong.

Stacie03
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Good luck to your DD!  Have her double check her meds with the DR to be sure she can't take them and BF.

Shellness
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:08 PM

She would be on an immuno suppressent drug. Orencia, Humara, Enbrel..That type of drug to stop the damage to her joints. This is not osteo arthritis. If its not controlled she will be in extreme pain and crippled.

preacherskid
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Quoting Shellness:

She would be on an immuno suppressent drug. Orencia, Humara, Enbrel..That type of drug to stop the damage to her joints. This is not osteo arthritis. If its not controlled she will be in extreme pain and crippled.

Okay, here is a link (I will try to come back and make it clicky later) to the LACTmed site that tells you the levels of safety of different meds: http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~gf5uYS:1

There is also an app for LACTmed.  The link above is for enbrel, at the bottom of the page they list alternate medications that have the same usage as enbrel.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I buy milk from a Milk Bank first.  Since she has to be on strong meds her doctor can write her a prescription for the donor breast milk.  Not sure if it's covered by insurance though.  If that's not an option i'd look into something else before choosing store bought artificial milk. 

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Has she ever considered looking for donor breastmilk?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)