Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why am I so achy?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:41 AM
  • 3 Replies

I haven't worked for 4 years until this past June when I got a PT job. I'm standing the entire time, but also moving around the entire time. I used to be a waitress for many years, so I'm also used to being on my feet way longer than just 5 hours a day. Since I haven't worked in so many years (SAHM), my feet/ankles can become very achy when my shift is over. After work I usually relax and kick up my legs/feet. Why is it that after I have them up for a while, and I go to walk, that it hurts worse than what it did before I tried to relax? I literally have to take baby steps until I can really walk normally.

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM
3 moms liked this

It's kinda like the feeling of our feet hurting when we're wearing a certain pair of shoes . . . .we can walk in them even though they hurt but once we take them off FORGET ABOUT IT. *chuckle*  And don't even THINK about trying to put those same shoes BACK ON.  

More than likely after standing on your feet for long periods of time you body needs WAY more time to recover.  And even though you've done this type of activity in the past, you are a bit older and are bodies do change over time.  Maybe you need to have your feet resting for longer periods.  And do things like soak them in a salt bath and keep them elevated. Also you may want be sure your feet have the support they need like thick socks and cushioned soled comfy shoes.  

There's a list in this group of foods and spices that help with inflammation. You may want to check it out as that may help you as well. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 26, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Alyson has some good advice!

clairewait
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't take this as harshly as it sounds.

You are out of shape.  :)

This is a natural progression of going from a long period of inactivity, back to activity. I'm not sure it matters what we did years ago. Once I hit 25, if I'm not in a REGULAR habit of working out, any activity outside of my normal day leaves me sore and fatigued for at least the first week or so.

You can push past this by taking an Aleve while your legs and ankles strengthen up again. And I know this is going to sound crazy, but given the amount of time on your feet, you might consider incorporating some serious leg stretches into your morning and night time routines. Eventually you might notice lower back pain, which is directly related to tight hips and hamstrings.

(Oh the joys of getting old!)

Also - think about your shoes. A cheap or old pair of shoes is high on my list of causes of unexplainable soreness or pain.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)