Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Diabetes

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 15 Replies

I'm newly diagnosed with diabetes.  The dr is thinking I'm type one because I don't fall into the normal category for type 2 .  Waiting on blood work to see for sure.  Right now I'm feeling completely overwhelmed, frustrated and kinda pissed off lol.  I'm so confused and feel lIke everything I'm doing is wrong.  Is there anyone else out there that is new to this too or anyone who can give me some advice on what to do?  I understand it is completely normal to feel this way but I just feel helpless right now. Any advice or encouragement would be helpful

by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Dec. 11, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Hi there!

You may wish to check out the Advice for Moms and/or Weight Loss, Fitness & Health groups for some ideas that can help.

rosboro5
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Ok thanks i will do that
MomTiara19
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I just got blood work done for diabetes last friday.I am very worried about it.I havent heard any news from my doctor as of yet.I will give it a few more days and call.I am hoping no news is good news.

The only good thing is the fear has really kicked me into action as far as my health.

rosboro5
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Have you heard back yet on your blood work? Hope it all turns out ok
Rota
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Diabetes is TOTALLY reversable. Most doctors don't have a clue how to do it, how to properly diagnose it, nor how to "treat it".

Type 2 diabetes was a diagnosis given to adults who developed signs and symptoms of diabetes. However, with our horrible eating patterns, young people are being diagnosed with this same disease and many doctors are confused and call it type !. DO NOT start taking insulin. Ifyou are serious about learning to manage this disease, email me and I will send you information from Integrative medicine physicians who understand the disease. foundationsforhealth@yahoo.com

musicpisces
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

That's for type 2.  The OP stated that her MD believes she has type 1, which is very different, and NOT reversible, since the damage to the pancreas is irreversible.

Quoting Rota:

Diabetes is TOTALLY reversable. Most doctors don't have a clue how to do it, how to properly diagnose it, nor how to "treat it".

Type 2 diabetes was a diagnosis given to adults who developed signs and symptoms of diabetes. However, with our horrible eating patterns, young people are being diagnosed with this same disease and many doctors are confused and call it type !. DO NOT start taking insulin. Ifyou are serious about learning to manage this disease, email me and I will send you information from Integrative medicine physicians who understand the disease. foundationsforhealth@yahoo.com

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

musicpisces
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Big hugs, mama.  I imagine this is scary and overwhelming.  Ask for a referral to speak with a diabetes nurse educator and a nutritionist, because they can give you some really good guidance.  I used to work in a nutrition clinic when I was in the Navy, and worked with both a diabetes nurse educator and a nutritionist, and I'm finishing up nursing school right now, so I've spent a lot of time working with people in your situation.  Did the doctor talk to you about diet, testing your blood sugar or insulin yet?

What makes the doctor think you have type 1 as opposed to type 2?  Is he waiting to see you A1C?

Hopefully it IS type 2, which CAN be reversible with healthy choices over time, but if it's type 1, it's still manageable.  You might consider a local support group, which can REALLY give you support from people who either have been or are in your shoes.

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Rota
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM

What I am trying to convey to you is that many doctors diagnose people with type 1 or type 2 erroneosly because they have not been taught to perform the correct test. I discussed this with an Endocrinologist and she agrees with me. Most doctors wait for A1ac results when they should be doing fasting insulin levels. If the fasting insulin level is higher than 4 and the doctor prescribes insulin, he/she is making things worse. There are now mixed diabetes ( a combination or type 1 and type 2 ) and the ONLY way you can treat it is by learning how to control leptin levels. Ask your doctor about that. Medications do not fix the problem.

healthygirl787
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have a lot of experience with diabetes, because my Dad had Type II diabetes and I am a health coach that works with diabetic clients.  Its ok to feel overwhelmed. Just know there are a lot of resources out there and people that you can work with who care. You're not alone in this.

rosboro5
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM
Yes I am type 1 not sure how it didn't get caught sooner than it did. I go back to endo next week for follow up. I know stress can cause havoc on blood sugars and believe me I've had a lot of that lately. Right now I'm just taking it one day at a time and not thinking about all the negative things that come from this, which is hard. I've met with an educator/nutritionist and it is all so overwhelming and confusing. I've started running again and really going to start with aire strict diet. Right now my numbers are really high at night and I can't figure out why. It's a learning process for everyone
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN