Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

What Foods Do You Depend On To Help You Power Up Your Day?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM
  • 59 Replies

What are Moms of CafeMom Saying About Panera Bread Power Bowls...

We gave 10 moms of CafeMom a $50 Panera Bread Gift Card and asked them to try Panera Bread's NEW Power Bowls - Power Breakfast Egg White Bowl with Roasted Turkey & the Power Chicken Hummus Bowl. Then we asked them to share their experience with all of you.

What foods do you depend on to help you power up your day with the energy you need to be healthy - and happy?

bouncing

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Winx
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I am the mom of a 7 month old baby and still battling with dropping the last few pounds.  My problem is that I still eat like I am pregnant and LOVE a good hearty meal for lunch, therefore I was a little skeptical when I went into Panera to order anything besides a sandwich.  I ordered the Power Chicken Hummus bowl and have to say that I was pleasantly surprised.  The spinach was really fresh, the chicken was cooked well and not freezing cold, the hummus was pretty delicious and I loved the red onions and cucumbers.  When I first got the bowl, I didn't think that I was going to be full, but its actually a filling meal and not a lot of calories!  I think that this might be my new go-to to get these last few pounds off!

Clementine917
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:00 PM

I just tried the Power Chicken Hummus bowl today and surprisingly really liked it! I actually have never been to Panera Bread before, I think I just didn't like the name and rarely go to the big chain places, but I was surprised to see all the tasty sounding options they have and all the salads and bowls and smoothies. I didn't know!

The Hummus bowl said only 330 calories on the menu so I thought for sure I'd be hungry after eating it but I'm not at all. In fact, there is still spinach in my box - they really give you a lot of food.  I like the flavor of the hummus and squeezing the lemon all over it really elevated the flavor.

I also liked the colors and decor inside, it was warm and comfortable feeling - very similar to a big chain coffee place I sometimes go to. All in all I"m pleasantly surprised and am excited to go back and try their power breakfast.

~Clem

chimis
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:36 PM

i tried panera's power chicken hummus bowl for lunch today, and IT WAS GOOD! it includes spinach, chicken, hummus, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and a lemon for good measure.

i haven't lived near a panera bread until recently so i haven't really tried it much, but i'll have to go back more often. the power bowl was really fresh-tasting and filling, and the chicken, thankfully, wasn't dry at all. this was a nice option for lunch that's healthier than my normal options while just as convenient.

here's what my lunch looked like :)

mamabear2427
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:42 PM

YUM!  I tried the Power Chicken Hummus Bowl for lunch today and loved it.  At first I was surprised by the color of the hummus, since it kind of looks like guacamole.  But it was a pleasant surprise because it was delicious.  I love a little spice, and this was just the right amount.  Also the squeeze of the lemon they give you made for a great light dressing that balanced everything out.

The chicken was good and the spinach super fresh...overall flavorful and fiberful :)  I only wish there were more cucumbers! Definitely would have this again - it didnt make me feel like I needed a nap after lunch which is always good.  Looking forward to trying the power breakfast next! 

I was almost done by the time I took the pic, but look how vibrant the colors are - makes it even better!

shogemini
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I tried out the Panera Power Chicken Hummus bowl today for lunch, and was pleasantly surprised. I haven't tried a power bowl before, and I actually got it without the chicken. The hummus was very tasty with a good kick, and the lemon was a really nice touch to add more flavor. 

The little packet of olive oil was also a great addition once I mixed it all up (as you can tell from the photo!). I'm sure the meal is definitely 100% filling with the chicken, but it was a good midday meal that gave me energy to get through the usual afternoon slump. 

It was really easy to mix up and get all the flavors in their to-go container, and completely convenient to hop over and get a full meal from Panera. I'll definitely be trying it out again!

mamadeayz
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Today I had the Power Chicken Hummus bowl for lunch!  Oh my goodness.  How yummy!  I sometimes worry about having a salad for lunch because I'm concerned it won't be filling enough.  But this salad was filling and delicious.

The Power Chicken Hummus bowl lives up to its name.  It powered me up for the whole afternoon.  It was a generous serving of deliciously seasoned chicken on a bed of the freshest, crispest baby spinach I've had in a long time.  There are also really fresh tomatoes and containers of spicy hummus which surprised me with its unique taste.  The hummus was familiar but also had its own unique twist.

I would definitely recommend the Power Chicken Hummus bowl to a friend, especially all my girlfriends who like to eat healthy and fresh food.

It was a fast, convenient and easy choice during a hectic day and it left me full and satisfied.

chimis
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:52 PM

so i tried the power breakfast egg white bowl with roasted turkey, and that was yummy too! it was warm, which was nice on a cold morning like today. i felt like this started my day with something healthy and tasty.

here's a pic:

i don't think the pic does it justice - it's actually a good amount of food with two egg whites, warm roasted turkey, spinach, and pesto. and the roasted peppers gave it that little hint of sweetness.

i had a super productive morning today, so maybe it was the power bowl?? :) definitely am going to recommend these to friends - they were tasty and packed with protein.

Sasha918
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:09 AM

As a new mom, I'm constantly trying to find quick and healthy options for breakfast. I was a little skeptical to have something for breakfast that had so much going on (spinach, turkey, eggs, etc).  But after trying the Breakfast Egg White Bowl with Roasted Turkey, I was left feeling full and ready to take on the day!  It was full of flavor, despite it being healthy :-).    Since Panera won me over with their breakfast, I decided to give their Chicken Hummus Bowl a try-it was basically a salad with a delicious jalepeno hummus!!  I loved how fresh and light it tasted!  This bowl was also so filling that I couldn't even finish the entire thing.  Both of these bowls are chocked full of protein, which is the fuel every working mom needs to keep the engine going.  I plan on making weekly visits for my Power Bowl fix!

Clementine917
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I just tried the power breakfast bowl with roasted turkey and egg whites it has --All-natural, antibiotic-free roasted turkey, egg whites, warm baby spinach and roasted peppers with basil pesto.

It wasn't really my cup of tea. The basil and the peppers are more of lunch time taste for me than breakfast. I really liked my lunch time power bowl with hummus and will go back at lunch time.

I would have liked more spinach too in the breakfast. Overall though I'm not much of a breakfast person even though I know and should be and that it is more healthy and helps your metabolism to eat breakfast.

All in all I like Panera's choices for lunch - and will go back.

cepanayo
by New Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:39 PM

This past week I tried the Power Chicken Hummus Bowl and Power Egg White Bowl with Roasted Turkey and they were really really tasty! I'm trying to get my diet back on track after the holidays and these options from Panera were a great find.

I'm usually not a salad person so I was a bit skeptical about having the Chicken Hummus bowl for lunch but I was pleasantly surprised. The Power Bowl came with chicken, cilantro jalapeno hummus, spinach, cucumbers, diced tomatoes, red onions and a fresh lemon to squeeze on top. I was a little nervous about having hummus on my salad but it was really refreshing, a little spicy and most importantly it wasn't overwhelming. It was the perfect lunch because it was light yet delicious and it kept me full and energized for the rest of the day. I actually ordered a small chicken noodle soup and I couldn't even finish it because I was so full from the Power Bowl! Usually I reach for an afternoon snack but this kept me full until dinner time. 

Since I really liked the Chicken Hummus Power Bowl I decided to give one of the other power bowls a try. The next day I tried the Power Mediterranean Chicken Salad (360 cals). This item wasn't on the menu at the Panera that I went to so the guy looked a little confused when I ordered it. This power bowl came with chicken, spinach, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, freshly squeezed lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Everything was super fresh and full of flavor. Again, this protein packed salad kept me full until the end of the day. I'd highly recommend this one to all of the bacon lovers out there :) 

I usually prefer sweet things for breakfast but I decided to switch it up and I tried the Power Egg White Bowl with Roasted Turkey. This came with turkey, egg whites, warm spinach and roasted peppers with basil pesto. The flavors worked really well together. The red peppers and pesto added a big burst of flavor to the egg whites and turkey. I've already recommended this one to my friends who have been looking for lighter, leaner and healthier breakfast options.

I'm looking forward to trying a bunch of the other "hidden menu" items. Definitely a plus when I can find healthy lean/ low cal foods that are fresh, delicious and filling! Since there are a few Panera Breads close to my office and house I'll definitely be going plenty of times in the near future! Thank you CafeMom and Panera!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)