Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Sunblock?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 5:37 AM
  • 14 Replies

Do you wear it faithfully? I don't sadly and, being near the beach and loving the outdoors, I have plenty of sun damage. I've had many things removed and biopsied and yet I still go out inthe sun unprotected at times. I've gotten better as I've gotten older but there were way too many years I didn't take good care of my skin.

What about you?

by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 5:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bonitalilmama
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 5:41 AM
I don't . Only if I'm going to be in the sun for a long period like at the beach and etc, other than that nope. I heard your suppose to wear sunblock everyday even in the winter because there can still be damage done
TheJerseyGirl
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 5:43 AM
1 mom liked this

i know, that's true! But it's so hard for me to believe...I'm in NJ and I swear I haven't seen the sun since November...lol. 

Quoting bonitalilmama: I don't . Only if I'm going to be in the sun for a long period like at the beach and etc, other than that nope. I heard your suppose to wear sunblock everyday even in the winter because there can still be damage done

michiganmom116
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:01 AM

No, I don't, and I don't plan on starting.  Studies are showing that the chemicals in sunblock do more damage/cause more cancer than the sun does.  The incidence of skin cancer rose with the introduction of sunblock, as did the increase of vitamin D deficiencies.  I'm trying to live a healthy lifestyle and baking chemical products into my skin just isn't in that agenda.

I choose to tan gradually until my body's natural sun protection (melanin) is sufficient.  If I have to be out in my garden for hours, I do it before 10 a.m. or after 4 p.m.  If I have to be outdoors between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., I wear a light covering or stay in shade.  I eat foods high in antioxidants and other nutrients that help protect my skin.  I haven't had a sunburn in several years since following these methods.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I didn't know that about sunblock!!! You mean I unintentionally did something healthy? lol

What's funny is that I'm outside EVERYDAY literally and always test a little low for Vitamin D! But it definitely dips in the Winter..I have such depression with this weather.

Quoting michiganmom116:

No, I don't, and I don't plan on starting.  Studies are showing that the chemicals in sunblock do more damage/cause more cancer than the sun does.  The incidence of skin cancer rose with the introduction of sunblock, as did the increase of vitamin D deficiencies.  I'm trying to live a healthy lifestyle and baking chemical products into my skin just isn't in that agenda.

I choose to tan gradually until my body's natural sun protection (melanin) is sufficient.  If I have to be out in my garden for hours, I do it before 10 a.m. or after 4 p.m.  If I have to be outdoors between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., I wear a light covering or stay in shade.  I eat foods high in antioxidants and other nutrients that help protect my skin.  I haven't had a sunburn in several years since following these methods.

psych_mom
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:39 AM

In the summer I do, but not the rest of the year.

Bleacheddecay
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM

When I was young no one talked about sun block. People used baby oil to get a tan. So for a long time I did nothing. Then I began using sun block when I was going to be in the sun for extended periods of time. Now I put some on my face and neck every day in the form of beauty cream, or makeup or both.

Barabell
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I rarely do. I live far enough north that I don't think it's a big factor here. If I am out in the sun all day, I will wear it to prevent burning.

hiba84
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM
It's part of.my morning routine: face.wash, moisturizer and.sunscreen.I don't re-apply it every few hours though
TheJerseyGirl
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
We used baby oil mixed with iodine! Ahhh the 80's lol.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

When I was young no one talked about sun block. People used baby oil to get a tan. So for a long time I did nothing. Then I began using sun block when I was going to be in the sun for extended periods of time. Now I put some on my face and neck every day in the form of beauty cream, or makeup or both.

celestegood
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 6:08 PM
No, I don't. I never have. And you know, you have to use good sunblock because there are chemicals in it that aren't good for you. I should, though, and I know it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)