Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Ideas?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM
  • 11 Replies

Since I am going to have an open incision for a while (2 more weeks before I even find out when I can start letting it close), I need some ideas on exercise. I can't do squats or anything that requires me to bend over. I do plan on walking through my neighborhood, but I need other things that I can do because I really want to get back into my really cute dresses this spring and summer.

by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Will you be getting a PT and/or an OT after the surgery? Or could you request one? I bet they would be able to give you some exercises specific to your recovery.

psych_mom
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM

No, because the surgeons have told me that I can do what is comfortable for me. I am sure that I could get PT because I have arthritis. I am not sure that they don't understand that it is painful for me to do certain things because they pull on the incision.

Quoting Barabell:

Will you be getting a PT and/or an OT after the surgery? Or could you request one? I bet they would be able to give you some exercises specific to your recovery.

momofnatalie
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I would do light weights to tone the arms and do different types of cardio if you can.  I like to dance videos, go for walks and ride my bike when the weather is nice. 

Barabell
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I have a document on my work computer with some exercises that can be done in a cube. Some can be done in a work chair. If I remember, I'll see if I can find it when at work tomorrow.

Quoting psych_mom:

No, because the surgeons have told me that I can do what is comfortable for me. I am sure that I could get PT because I have arthritis. I am not sure that they don't understand that it is painful for me to do certain things because they pull on the incision.

Quoting Barabell:

psych_mom
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Can't dance or ride a bike, but I can do arms.

Quoting momofnatalie:

I would do light weights to tone the arms and do different types of cardio if you can.  I like to dance videos, go for walks and ride my bike when the weather is nice. 

psych_mom
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Thanks, that would be great.

Quoting Barabell:

I have a document on my work computer with some exercises that can be done in a cube. Some can be done in a work chair. If I remember, I'll see if I can find it when at work tomorrow.

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting Barabell:

clairewait
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Not sure what your surgery is for, but I'm going to guess you are actually going to be "comfortable" with a lot less than you think.

Had a good friend with sepsis earlier this year. He had an open incision for several weeks. He was good many days just to go from bed to the chair.

Anyway. My advice is not to worry about it, see how you feel when you get there, and prep yourself not to feel guilty if you just need to take that time to let your body rest and heal.

psych_mom
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I am definitely going to make sure that I take it easy. I had a bartholin's gland that formed a cyst over 18 months and then that caused an abscess. I went to the ER and got it lanced and instead of putting me on IV antibiotics (which is what my gynecologist said he would have done) the er doctor gave me a low grade antibiotic for 7 days and for 6 weeks my doctor tried to get the infection under control but they couldn't so he sent me to the surgeon and they rushed me to the OR and did immediate surgery to remove all the infected tissue and drain the cyst. Last week I thought I felt find and I cleaned the kitchen and did some things around the house and it completely drained me. I thought I felt better, but my body felt differently.

Quoting clairewait:

Not sure what your surgery is for, but I'm going to guess you are actually going to be "comfortable" with a lot less than you think.

Had a good friend with sepsis earlier this year. He had an open incision for several weeks. He was good many days just to go from bed to the chair.

Anyway. My advice is not to worry about it, see how you feel when you get there, and prep yourself not to feel guilty if you just need to take that time to let your body rest and heal.

celestegood
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:59 AM
Walk, and be careful to not over do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 6:22 AM

I would rest and stay put! You don't want to hurt yourself any further, Stacy! You'll have plenty of time to exercise in a few weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)