Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

What Do You Look For In A Toothpaste?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM
  • 150 Replies
3 moms liked this

As a healthy mom you keep a mindful eye on the food that you and your child eat.  While you actually don't eat toothpaste,  it is something that you and your child put in your mouth everyday and ingredients should be considered.

What Do You Look For In A Toothpaste?

~CafeMom Team

We gave moms Tom's of Maine Toothpaste to try at home with their kids.

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
KITTYCAT1
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 6:39 PM

When I choose a toothpaste it must be natural, dye free, and whitening. We limit fluoride in our home so toothpaste for my younger kids must be fluoride free. My older kids (11 & 13 ) sometimes use toothpaste containing fluoride, but it's rare. 

My kids aren't picky about toothpaste flavor and will use anything that I buy. They do seem to like Toms fluoride free anti plaque & whitening best though. 

I've been buying Tom's of Maine for years and my family loves it. It must be doing the job because my kids have healthy, cavity free teeth ;)

TerriC
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM

When buying toothpaste, I usually factor in price, brand, ingredients and flavor/taste.  I have sensitive teeth so I have to be careful with what I use.  I will say, the Tom's did not bother my teeth at all, it felt nice.  DH said his mouth felt very clean after he used it.

The girls tried the mild mint.  The first thing my youngest said is....it didn't burn my mouth!  She doesn't like anything too minty and they both loved this toothpaste, I will definitely buy it again and I would recommend this to friends and family.  I have already recommended it to both of my sisters.  My one sister has small kids and I think they would really like the mild mint.

While the girls were brushing their teeth with Tom's, they actually brushed through the whole sand timer!!  That was a good thing!

Overall, I am very happy with my families reaction to this toothpaste and I will be buying it again.

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:56 PM

When choosing a toothpaste some factors I consider include natural ingredients, variety of pleasant flavors, and a brand that I can trust. My family tried Tom's of Main toothpastes.. Whole Care in peppermint, Wicked Cool! in mild mint, and Children's in silly strawberry.

My husband and I found the Whole Care toothpaste to deliver exactly what its name implies.. whole care for our whole mouths! Our children loved the Wicked Cool! and Children's toothpastes and said they were "yummy!" Our children are now asking if they can go brush their teeth and for us to buy more when we run out!

We are so glad we were given the opportunity to learn more about Tom's of Maine and try their products, and will be recommending Tom's of Maine to our family and friends!

kcangel63
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:02 PM
4 moms liked this
One important thing we look for in our toothpaste is it is fluoride free. We try to limit fluoride in our house. The next is natural ingredients, and then flavor. I'm willing to pay a bit more for those.

My kids love strawberry and mint flavored toothpaste.

It doesn't take much to get them to brush their teeth. I mention the word toothbrush and the bathroom is full of kids. LOL
Hottmomma607
Monday!
Yesterday at 12:50 PM
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Whitening,fights cavity,protects teeth after brushing, freshen breath, price. Of course most importantly what's in it?
.JuneDiva629.
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:09 PM
I look for whiteing, cavity fighting and price.

My daughter really liked the taste of the mild mint.She normally hates the taste of toothpaste,but this one she really likes.And she looks forward to brushing her teeth.

I really like the peppermint toothpaste you sent. I thought it was going to be hot,but it wasn't.It leaves my teeth feeling clean all day.
jbyrd898
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Taste for my 3 1/2 year old is important, and it is for us too. Other than that, price, and flouride. 

inmybizz
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I look at ingredients but I also look at things like whitening, fights cavities, freshens breath,. I also take into consideration for future purchase if the product does what was advertised. 

polkaspots
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM
For the kids I focus on taste. They both make crunchy faces at really minty pastes.
For myself some of the toothpastes hurt my sensitive teeth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Both kids liked the strawberry toms. Dd likes that it's a flip top lid that she can open herself.
I love the peppermint because it didn't hurt my teeth and it tasted alright. Every toothpaste used to hurt my teeth. Idk if DH likes it, I don't think he's used it yet.
I've recommended it to my mother who has sensitive teeth like I do.
I used to think toms were fake healthy products, but now that I've actually done the research and used the products I think I'll be buying more. So far I plan on using the toothpaste coupon to get the rinse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:56 PM

When choosing a toothpaste some factors I consider include natural ingredients, variety of pleasant flavors, and a brand that I can trust. My family tried Tom's of Main toothpastes.. Whole Care in peppermint, Wicked Cool! in mild mint, and Children's in silly strawberry.

My husband and I found the Whole Care toothpaste to deliver exactly what its name implies.. whole care for our whole mouths! Our children loved the Wicked Cool! and Children's toothpastes and said they were "yummy!" Our children are now asking if they can go brush their teeth and for us to buy more when we run out!

We are so glad we were given the opportunity to learn more about Tom's of Maine and try their products, and will be recommending Tom's of Maine to our family and friends!

Janet
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM

The kids and I love trying new products!  The boys loved the Wicked Cool! mint flavor. It was a mild mint. I liked the Whole Care peppermint flavor as well. When purchasing toothpaste I look for effectiveness, taste for the kids sake mostly, and of course ingredients. Toms seems to fit all of these. I hadn't looked into Toms before so I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it. I would recommend it to my friends to try knowing what I have learned about Toms.

auntangelofsix
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM
My boys 11 n 2 yr old tried the wicked cool the mild mint and they both liked the taste on it.
The smell of it.
The price and ingridents.
Yes if the have children.
I learn alot reading about the ingridentst and how the toothpaste is made.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)