Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

What Do You Look For In A Toothpaste?

Posted by   + Show Post

As a healthy mom you keep a mindful eye on the food that you and your child eat.  While you actually don't eat toothpaste,  it is something that you and your child put in your mouth everyday and ingredients should be considered.

What Do You Look For In A Toothpaste?

~CafeMom Team

We gave moms Tom's of Maine Toothpaste to try at home with their kids.

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Replies (141-150):
KITTYCAT1
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My dentist feels the same way I do about fluoride and agrees that my kids are doing great with what I'm doing. Also, my kids and I don't drink tap water, but it is in my towns water supply. 

Quoting 1kidmomajm:

I'm glad you feel Toms of Maine works for you. But, water does not have enough floride in it (if your town even has it in the system). Not using floride at a young age, can not only cause current problems, like decay, but can cause the adult teeth waiting to come out to not be strong and healthy either. There are some cases inwhich using a whitening toothpaste in children causes enamel breakdown if it is used to often. Also it can cause blotchy spots on the teeth, which is not repairable. So having a young kid use it now, they may have weaker teeth later. Do not use whitening on teeth with braces. Check with your dentist if you havent already and make sure he feels your kids are ok with non floride or whitening toothpaste. Maybe strong teeth is hereditary in your family. 

Quoting KITTYCAT1:

When I choose a toothpaste it must be natural, dye free, and whitening. We limit fluoride in our home so toothpaste for my younger kids must be fluoride free. My older kids (11 & 13 ) sometimes use toothpaste containing fluoride, but it's rare. 

My kids aren't picky about toothpaste flavor and will use anything that I buy. They do seem to like Toms fluoride free anti plaque & whitening best though. 

I've been buying Tom's of Maine for years and my family loves it. It must be doing the job because my kids have healthy, cavity free teeth ;)

sparky1006
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I look for something that doesn't burn inside my child's mouth.A toothpaste that will help in fighting plauqe,give them a fresh mouth,some kind i=of taste that is good,and helps fight cvities

marbear764
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:16 PM

We think mentadent is the best

Marbear

JTMOM422
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I looked for flouride free when they were younger. Now I don't really look for anything specific. My kids are more impressed with who is on the tube ie...spongebob, dora

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Lol like cereal, right?

Quoting JTMOM422:

I looked for flouride free when they were younger. Now I don't really look for anything specific. My kids are more impressed with who is on the tube ie...spongebob, dora

JTMOM422
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly LOL. They may hate the cereal but of course they love it when they see it in the stores 

Quoting ablackdolphin: Lol like cereal, right?
Quoting JTMOM422:

Mirocca
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I look for a toothpaste that is Floride free! Our teeth are porous and so they absorbe a great deal of what we put on them. If we are brushing our teeth daily that can amount to a lot of fluoride.

Fluoride is simply a by-product of the mining industry, and really has no benefit to our teeth and our health. When the mining industry started to boom they turned fluoride into a monetary star, and convinced pharmaceuticals (which i'm sure was not a hard sell considering the chemicals they use in all their products), to include it into their toothpaste. I compare it to nail hardners....people paint thier nails with nail hardner, but it doesn't have long lasting benefits. It's a coating on your nails that temporarily keeps them hard...much like fluoride except your body also absorbes it and then has to eliminate it...making your liver work harder.

So no fluoride in my toothpaste...which is why i love the Tom's line for kids...thank you !

Finally, a website that helps you live the life of your dreams....

www.howtousethelawofattraction.biz

Peace, Love and Success....Because you deserve to live the life of your Dreams!

Trieschman
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM

I honesty haven't been that concerned. As adults, we use a MLM brand toothpaste I know to be healthier. I have used coconut oil and baking soda. I have used essential oils as well. I am thinking about making my own toothpaste and seeing how that goes. 

For my kids, just getting them to like a toothpaste and using it regularly is a chore. I will tackle the health aspect of it somewhere down the road.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Try it - Like it
http://tryit-likeit.com/

Ess-Oils - natural healing
http://ess-oils.blogspot.com/
JuncoBird2325
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I like whitening toothpastes because I drink alot of tea and coffee during the day and my teeth get browned. My hubby likes Close Up and so do I, so that is the brand we usually use.

mrswillie
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Cavity fighting
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)