Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Bananas....low in potassium?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:00 AM
  • 11 Replies

From Dr. Jonny Bowden's FB page...

Banana low in potassium? Compared to kiwi, papaya, apricot, and avocado, yes!

Your thoughts: Are bananas a health food or high-carb fruit to avoid?
Photo: Banana low in potassium? Compared to kiwi, papaya, apricot, and avocado, yes! 
Your thoughts: Are bananas a health food or high-carb fruit to avoid?

by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Interesting!

My kids love bananas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clairewait
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Ok but let's be honest.

Kiwi? Expensive

Papaya? Gross (and hard to find)

Apricots, eh, seasonal at best... and not awesome.

I mean, out of that list, bananas and avocado are the two easiest to find, afford, and actually eat, and avocado is nothing like a banana. (Like, I'd probably not choose it regularly for breakfast.)

Though, it's funny... I frequently ONLY buy bananas and avocado (together) at Sam's.

psych_mom
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Out of all the fruits listed, Bananas are the only ones that I eat regularly. The only other on the list that I like is kiwi and those can be expensive. When I was eating extremely healthy I had no issues with losing weight while eating 1-2 bananas a day.

celestegood
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM
I agree with you. I would say the same.

Quoting clairewait:

Ok but let's be honest.

Kiwi? Expensive

Papaya? Gross (and hard to find)

Apricots, eh, seasonal at best... and not awesome.

I mean, out of that list, bananas and avocado are the two easiest to find, afford, and actually eat, and avocado is nothing like a banana. (Like, I'd probably not choose it regularly for breakfast.)

Though, it's funny... I frequently ONLY buy bananas and avocado (together) at Sam's.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I think this all depends on your needs.  I cannot have high carb foods...and a banana is high in carbs compared to other fruits.  HALF of a banana is one serving, but what am I supposed to do with the other half?

I cannot have kiwi...I can buy it 3/$1 and it has plenty of other nutrition, but it makes my throat and mouth burn.

I like apricots, but I only buy them seasonally.

Papaya...would go to waste.  I'm the only one that would eat it.

Avocados, on the other hand....we all love avocados!  Guacamole, diced in salads, baked with eggs...yum!  Plenty of healthy fats in them, too!

clairewait
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting michiganmom116:

I think this all depends on your needs.  I cannot have high carb foods...and a banana is high in carbs compared to other fruits.  HALF of a banana is one serving, but what am I supposed to do with the other half?

Yeah. My mom cut most carbs from her diet when she turned 40. That meant no more bananas, corn, or potatoes. It is so funny because bananas are my go-to breakfast fruit because they are so easy with kids, but otherwise I can't really remember having them in the house much when we were growing up.

I now go through bananas so quickly, I'm frequently looking for them in the "over-ripe" bags. I save half and freeze half for smoothies and pancakes.

sukainah
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Interesting.  I heard that the riper the banana, the better and healthy for you, but it's good to know that there are other foods that are higher in potassium.

copperswifey
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I still think they can be healthy. I always pick out the small ones to eat :)

TheBabyFactory4
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:03 PM
I love bananas. I believe that choosing a banana over a cake is better.
celestegood
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Actually, you are right and I will use that excuse to buy more. lol

Quoting TheBabyFactory4: I love bananas. I believe that choosing a banana over a cake is better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN