Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Breaking a habit

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 2:55 AM
  • 12 Replies

Do you really believe the saying that it takes 21 days to create a new habit?

I'm not so sure . . . I have bad habits that I have tried to change and it seems impossible!

Have you changed a bad habit?  What is your secret?

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 2:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:23 AM

I think 30 days and getting rid of temptation (if possible) are what works, at least for me.

psych_mom
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I did before, but then after 9 months I went back to some of them, such as eating sweets and now I am trying to change them again and this time it is harder. I haven't went back to drinking soda.

sukainah
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Yes, I used smoke and I quit.  Honestly I couldn't afford it anymore.

clairewait
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I feel like I've heard a dozen different "time goals" for how long it takes to break a bad habit.

But talk to any ex-smoker. I think every single one will tell you they have craved a cigarette up to years later.

For me it depends on the habit. Changing eating habits only happen when I've changed my shopping habits. If it isn't in the house, it is easy to avoid something (or eat something healthy because it IS in the house).

I can't think of many other habits I've actively attempted to change, to be honest. I used to have lofty goals about my sleep schedule (waking up earlier, usually), but I've finally resigned myself to listening to my body and I no longer have guilt about sleeping when I need to sleep.

Working out habits, for me, are short lived, but I've always maintained a routine if I sign up (and pay) for a race that I need to train for.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:15 PM
No, I don't believe that.
la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM

My bad habit was drinking soda daily and it's been 5 months since I stopped. It was a bit hard at first but by now it's second nature, lol

strictmomhere
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 4:05 PM
I stopped bitting my nails just cold turkey
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:54 AM

I'm the worst at changing bad habits. Nail biting, teeth grinding, too  much coffee. sigh...

celestegood
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:54 AM
I'm going with thirty days, and getting rid of the temptation during that time to aide in quitting it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:43 PM

17 years ago I quit smoking. I was almost at 2 packs a day. I quit cold turkey

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN