Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

advice needed

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:59 AM
  • 35 Replies

I so want to stop smoking. I can't use medication since I react strongly to meds. I am scared of the patches for the same reason. Has anyone stopped? How did you do it?

by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Good luck! I'm not a smoker so I'm no help but I hope you're able to :)
JTMOM422
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Thanks. I need help with this one. I quit for 4 years before and picked it back up. Wish I had never done that.

Quoting proudmommy690: Good luck! I'm not a smoker so I'm no help but I hope you're able to :)

proudmommy690
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:02 AM
My mom tried quitting several times and nothing helped her but I'm hoping you find something that works.

Quoting JTMOM422:

Thanks. I need help with this one. I quit for 4 years before and picked it back up. Wish I had never done that.

Quoting proudmommy690: Good luck! I'm not a smoker so I'm no help but I hope you're able to :)

mamavalor
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:03 AM

My dad and BIL did it cold turkey.  I think BIL chewed gum initially to keep the mouth moving but eventually it all slipped away.  Good luck!

momofsixangels
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I stopped over 17 years ago. I was up to almost 2 packs a day. I did it cold turkey.W/e I wanted to smoke I would chew gum,go for a walk.It takes will power but you can do it!! My fil died from lung cancer in 2009 and that was awful to watch

SarahSuzyQ
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM
I don't have advice, I just wanted to offer encouragement as you work to kick the habit.
louannwilkins
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Yes I stopped on July 17, 2000.  I'd been smoking for a few years and I can tell you that I LOVED my cigs.  I threw them down.  Just decided I was done.  I was waiting for a gall bladder operation and my nerves were shot but I quit the day they told me that I definitely needed the surgery.  It was hard.  That's the truth.  I didn't even throw the rest of the carton of cigs out that I had until about 6 months later.  The first 5 to 7 days is the worst but after that it's all in your head.  Mind over matter so to speak.  Good luck!!  We'll cheer you on if you decide to toss them.  I feel better and truthfully I smell better!!  lol  All those years I'd shower and put on my perfume...I thought I smelled good but nope.  I now know I didn't!!!  LOL  Good luck!!  YOU CAN DO IT    :)

JTMOM422
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I will see about the gum

Quoting mamavalor:

My dad and BIL did it cold turkey.  I think BIL chewed gum initially to keep the mouth moving but eventually it all slipped away.  Good luck!

JTMOM422
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I am definately going to try to get it done this time. I want to quit so bad and the sooner the better 

Quoting momofsixangels:

I stopped over 17 years ago. I was up to almost 2 packs a day. I did it cold turkey.W/e I wanted to smoke I would chew gum,go for a walk.It takes will power but you can do it!! My fil died from lung cancer in 2009 and that was awful to watch

JTMOM422
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Thank you for the encouragement 

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: I don't have advice, I just wanted to offer encouragement as you work to kick the habit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN