Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

advice needed

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:59 AM
  • 35 Replies

I so want to stop smoking. I can't use medication since I react strongly to meds. I am scared of the patches for the same reason. Has anyone stopped? How did you do it?

by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Good luck! I'm not a smoker so I'm no help but I hope you're able to :)
JTMOM422
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Thanks. I need help with this one. I quit for 4 years before and picked it back up. Wish I had never done that.

Quoting proudmommy690: Good luck! I'm not a smoker so I'm no help but I hope you're able to :)

proudmommy690
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:02 AM
My mom tried quitting several times and nothing helped her but I'm hoping you find something that works.

Quoting JTMOM422:

Thanks. I need help with this one. I quit for 4 years before and picked it back up. Wish I had never done that.

Quoting proudmommy690: Good luck! I'm not a smoker so I'm no help but I hope you're able to :)

mamavalor
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:03 AM

My dad and BIL did it cold turkey.  I think BIL chewed gum initially to keep the mouth moving but eventually it all slipped away.  Good luck!

momofsixangels
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I stopped over 17 years ago. I was up to almost 2 packs a day. I did it cold turkey.W/e I wanted to smoke I would chew gum,go for a walk.It takes will power but you can do it!! My fil died from lung cancer in 2009 and that was awful to watch

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM
I don't have advice, I just wanted to offer encouragement as you work to kick the habit.
louannwilkins
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Yes I stopped on July 17, 2000.  I'd been smoking for a few years and I can tell you that I LOVED my cigs.  I threw them down.  Just decided I was done.  I was waiting for a gall bladder operation and my nerves were shot but I quit the day they told me that I definitely needed the surgery.  It was hard.  That's the truth.  I didn't even throw the rest of the carton of cigs out that I had until about 6 months later.  The first 5 to 7 days is the worst but after that it's all in your head.  Mind over matter so to speak.  Good luck!!  We'll cheer you on if you decide to toss them.  I feel better and truthfully I smell better!!  lol  All those years I'd shower and put on my perfume...I thought I smelled good but nope.  I now know I didn't!!!  LOL  Good luck!!  YOU CAN DO IT    :)

JTMOM422
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I will see about the gum

Quoting mamavalor:

My dad and BIL did it cold turkey.  I think BIL chewed gum initially to keep the mouth moving but eventually it all slipped away.  Good luck!

JTMOM422
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I am definately going to try to get it done this time. I want to quit so bad and the sooner the better 

Quoting momofsixangels:

I stopped over 17 years ago. I was up to almost 2 packs a day. I did it cold turkey.W/e I wanted to smoke I would chew gum,go for a walk.It takes will power but you can do it!! My fil died from lung cancer in 2009 and that was awful to watch

JTMOM422
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Thank you for the encouragement 

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: I don't have advice, I just wanted to offer encouragement as you work to kick the habit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)