Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Getting rid of wasp

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM
  • 21 Replies
Do you know of any ways to get rid of them. My daughter got stung twice today. There is no hive in my yard but they are flying everywhere it seems. I would prefer something non toxic since I have small kids and a dog
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angela4boys
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM
These must be a nest around they are trying to defend. I'd look sound for it.
momma-of-three3
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:50 PM
Hire a beekeeper to track and remove them? I don't know. There must be a nest SOMEWHERE nearby.
JTMOM422
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM
I have looked. It's not only my yard. I have seen them hovering over the grass in other people's yards when I am taking my son to school. Will they build their nest in the ground. I live in TN and they have always been bad around here

Quoting Angela4boys: These must be a nest around they are trying to defend. I'd look sound for it.
JTMOM422
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I think they may be in the ground. My husband believes that some types can build a nest there. I am going to call orkin to come out

Quoting momma-of-three3: Hire a beekeeper to track and remove them? I don't know. There must be a nest SOMEWHERE nearby.
timon95
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:55 PM

google wasp traps. you can make them out of soda bottles. only problem is you need to eventually remove it and dispose of it. i buy wasp spray and have pest control services. they tend to take over my deck (screened in). if they get in my house instead of using wasp spray i use wyndex. once the windex gets inside of them (bees too) it will burn them from the inside out.

Angela4boys
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:55 PM
I really don't know! I live in North Carolina, and we have them flying around too, but they keep trying to build their nests on the eaves of the house...we keep knocking them down. None of us have been stung though.

Quoting JTMOM422: I have looked. It's not only my yard. I have seen them hovering over the grass in other people's yards when I am taking my son to school. Will they build their nest in the ground. I live in TN and they have always been bad around here

Quoting Angela4boys: These must be a nest around they are trying to defend. I'd look sound for it.
momma-of-three3
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:00 PM
I did some quick research. Some wasps do nest underground, in rabbit holes, and in walls. Here are some natural ideas too. http://www.naturallivingideas.com/6-natural-ways-to-get-rid-of-wasps/

Quoting JTMOM422: I think they may be in the ground. My husband believes that some types can build a nest there. I am going to call orkin to come out

Quoting momma-of-three3: Hire a beekeeper to track and remove them? I don't know. There must be a nest SOMEWHERE nearby.
momofsixangels
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Natural insecticide spray
Ecosmart’s Organic Wasp and Hornet killer uses 100 percent, food-grade ingredients, including peppermint oil. You can check out the ingredients here. When reading over the instructions for use of this spray, you will see that you use this just like the typical poisonous spray, so if you are wanting to simply treat the same way as usual but with a more natural spray, this may be your best bet. It will smell quite strong, like essential oils, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
momofsixangels
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Non-Toxic Wasp Spray/Repellant

• 2 cups of water
  • 1 teaspoon of peppermint oil
  • 1 teaspoon of dish soap (optional)

Combine all of these ingredients together into your spray bottle. Wait until the very early morning hours, or late at night when it looks like they’re sleeping, then shake and spray!

You might need to apply the solution twice, but they will fall to the ground and die within seconds

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:01 PM
We have pear trees and had an underground nest DH got stung many times mowing the lawn. We called someone to come out
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)