Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Anybody ever tried duck eggs? PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:39 PM
  • 15 Replies

Mobile Photo

Because we are going to have some here in a few months!! :-)
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahsmommy816
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:27 AM

nope i havent, but soooo cute!

Angela4boys
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:39 AM
No, but those are adorable!
Alyson121
by Alyson on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Yes, we typically buy them in the winter months

suetoo
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

We had pet ducks for over 25 years, and always made sure to have a mated pair, the group always paired up and stayed together. Duck eggs are richer and more dense than chicken eggs. Side by side there is a slightly deeper flavor. My ducks were spoiled, trained, family ducks, so they ate well. I used them for baking for years until my teen daughters caught on and refused to eat 'our family pets'! Like, how could I? Yum!

ps. They would waddle and quack around the outside faucet as soon as my DH got home from work. He'd turn the hose on a trickle in the grass and the ducks would wait for worms to come out of their flooded holes to be eaten, slurped up like spaghetti. If the screen door didn't latch during the day when the ducks were out of their barn, they had free range of our fenced yard and our dogs would guard them, and I'd be in the kitchen, I'd turn around to find them standing at my feet asking for a bath in the sink. When they were ducklings, they learned to groom and swim in my sink. If I napped on my porch, they would come up to talk to me, soft little quackkkkquackks, and sleep under my lounge chair.

SarahSuzyQ
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Why only the winter months?

Quoting Alyson121:

SarahSuzyQ
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Aw, I love it! We are working on socializing ours so they will be working pets, lol. Did you ever hatch out any babies?

Quoting suetoo:

We had pet ducks for over 25 years, and always made sure to have a mated pair, the group always paired up and stayed together. Duck eggs are richer and more dense than chicken eggs. Side by side there is a slightly deeper flavor. My ducks were spoiled, trained, family ducks, so they ate well. I used them for baking for years until my teen daughters caught on and refused to eat 'our family pets'! Like, how could I? Yum!

ps. They would waddle and quack around the outside faucet as soon as my DH got home from work. He'd turn the hose on a trickle in the grass and the ducks would wait for worms to come out of their flooded holes to be eaten, slurped up like spaghetti. If the screen door didn't latch during the day when the ducks were out of their barn, they had free range of our fenced yard and our dogs would guard them, and I'd be in the kitchen, I'd turn around to find them standing at my feet asking for a bath in the sink. When they were ducklings, they learned to groom and swim in my sink. If I napped on my porch, they would come up to talk to me, soft little quackkkkquackks, and sleep under my lounge chair.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

thats when they are in season in our area

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: Why only the winter months?
Quoting Alyson121:

suetoo
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Yes, but only twice when I had someone I trusted to use their eggs and keep them well cared for, both batches of "cheepie peepers" went to a forever home. We lost several beloved ducks over the years, Mortimer Peep to a fox, a Muscovy pair to raccoons and one special over fed mallard named Alexander Good Duck to an owl. He was bigger than the owl expected and duck put up a good fight. I have the owl feathers to prove it. So make sure your hutch is wired securely and that they go in at dusk unless someone or family dog is with them. I'd tell my mutts to 'go check!' And out and around the yard and barn they'd go. And even our cats would walk thru the babies without twitching a whisker. The cats learned they were part of the family. My first hatchlings imprinted on me and spent the first 6 weeks in a big straw filled box in my kitchen. Other batches, our mom duck cared for them wonderfully.

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Never thought about it! They are so cute!!! I am curious if you can just substitute in recipes or does it affect the consistency or binding?
SarahSuzyQ
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM

They are larger than chicken eggs, so I understand you would have to account for that in recipes. And I have read that they bake up to be a bit more fluffy. I don't think the consistency is exactly the same, but I'm hoping I'll get the chance to find out.

You should ask one of the other ladies who said they had some experience with them in this thread... Because I would be interested in that answer, too!

Quoting ablackdolphin: Never thought about it! They are so cute!!! I am curious if you can just substitute in recipes or does it affect the consistency or binding?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN