Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

"Floxed" by Levaquin PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:42 PM
  • 2 Replies

To make a long story short....NEVER EVER take this antiobiotic.  I was given it after augmentin didn't work for a sinus infection.  An atomic bomb to kill a fly. I was also given flonase which only makes the toxic effects worse.  This is NOT an allergic reaction, it's poisioning.

I only took 3 of the 7 pills but started feeling shooting pains in my knee the 2nd night. I realized later that my wrists were sore and my shoulder was aching.  I still took a 3rd dose.  The shooting pains in my knee that night around 5pm were every 5 min and increased to every 2 minutes.

Since stopping the meds (as with everyone) the symptoms only get worse not better.  True for me too.

My symptoms:

Constant shoulder pain in about 3 different places, aching elbows (off and on), headache, shooting pains in knees, stiff ankles that are making me walk like I'm 90, every joint (and ones I didn't know I had) is popping and cracking, my ears are constantly ringing.

AND I'm LUCKY so far!  It's still probably going to get worse and could take months, years or never get better.

You know it's bad when there is a term for these side effects called "Floxed" and "Floxie". 

Anyway, I want to spread the word because I took Cipro (sister drug) long ago and was "fine".  Problem is...you can be for the first few times you take it but eventually you will get sick and it can forever change your life.

They give it to kids for ear infections, some form of drops and to pets.

I beg you to learn from my mistakes!

If you knew how careful I am about taking things, you too would wonder how can this happen to me??!?!

Now it's just wait and see....huge bummer as it's already affecting our family.  My shoulder pain is making me not pick up DS2 when he wants to be picked up.  I'm exhausted and DH is now having to do a lot more around the house because we're trying to be very careful with how much I do physically.

I'd take the sinus infection over this anyday!

Spread the word! It's also given to the elderly for pneumonia.

This is ONE BAD DRUG!

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
michiganmom116
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Wow!  Thanks for sharing!

I hope you start to feel better soon.  It sounds like it's inflammatory....I wonder if a gentle cleansing drink would help.  Maybe some green tea?

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks!! I found a FB grp of 2k people who are helping me. Taking magnesium and a few other supplements. Bracing my ankles and just being very careful. I still have lots if crazy shooting pains it keeps moving. Sadly many get diagnosed with fibromayalgia or arthritis because symptoms do not usually show up this fast. I have crazy thirst, little hunger and had some crazy anxiety a few night.

If I can prevent even one person from going through this than posting is worth it!!!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Wow!  Thanks for sharing!

I hope you start to feel better soon.  It sounds like it's inflammatory....I wonder if a gentle cleansing drink would help.  Maybe some green tea?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)