Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Eliminating Dairy

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 3:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

So looks like I need to eliminate all dairy from my 5 year old DD's diet.  We have already switched her to soy milk, but now looks like all dairy has to go.

Anyone have any suggestions on non-dairy products that you like?  I personally already eat Whole Soy Yogurts, but what about cheese that she loves and cream cheese.  And how about ice cream??? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 5, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
michiganmom116
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I won't touch soy, but almond milk or coconut milk are great subs...although I wouldn't use coconut milk for drinking so much as I would recipes.  I've made ice cream using coconut milk.

dmom27
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:59 PM
I like "So Delicious" dairy free ice cream. For cream cheese, "Go Veggie" cream cheese alternative. I like soy and rice milk, but almond milk is my fave. Good luck!
rockinmomto2
by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Almond milk is delicious, my girls prefer it to regular milk, and they don't have dairy issues. Like a PP said, So Delicious has a WIDE variety of dairy free ice cream products, some made with coconut (which is a strong coconut flavor), some without so there's a good variety. As far as dairy free cheese goes, I'd avoid it if you can. I think it has a funny texture and doesn't taste quite right. 

You can make your own almond milk at home (there's a couple recipes on Pinterest for it, and it'll be even better for her than the store bought stuff). If I were you, I'd work on avoiding most soy as well...soy doesn't affect the body quite right.

SeraiahH
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a son who cannot have dairy either.  So Delicious is great and Rice Dream makes ice cream products too.  I make my own milk for my family using my Vitamix.  It's so much easier and way cheaper too.  So using whole almonds or pecans I make milk in a couple of minutes that my family loves and has a lot of protein in them, low sugar (I only use a small amount of agave), and takes minutes to do.  If you're interested in my recipes send me a message. :-)

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 7:11 PM

There is ice dream (I think that's the name) that is made from nuts.  It's great!

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Sorbet

momofsixangels
by on May. 18, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Ive heard almond milk is really good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)